prices set to go up......

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Na no value in Starions, want an investment buy a house.
Look at this dreamer. :wtf:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 946118.htm
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

kiwieurospec wrote:Na no value in Starions, want an investment buy a house.
Look at this dreamer. :wtf:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 946118.htm
Nice car, sure. But that price is absolute bulldust!

Is the 0-100 kmh time accurate, I'd imagine in factory form it'd be more like 7.8 sec.

How much quicker was the dash motor than the 8 valve?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Never seen a test for a dash one. That guys claim is probably from the UK CAR magazine advert which said 6.6 to a hundred and 143mph top speed. I think the actual time was high 7's when tested.
Don't know what he is on about the diff though, my car is the same and there is nothing special about the diff other than LSD.
sanderman
[P] Plates

Post by sanderman »

Sadly our cars are never going to be seen as classics, even the red 83 Starion on Trade Me with a starting bid of $6000 is well over priced. I paid $3600 for my 83 with 68000 kms on the clock and I still think I paid too much.
But it is still amazing the interest that the car can generate at times.
Happiness is a tight Starion!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Had a spec sheet re Dash motor (Dual Action Super Head ) & from memory it had the same power as the original VR4=148 kw so it should be quite a bit faster than the 8 valve I'm sure I will be corrected if my ageing memory is not correct :(
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

sanderman wrote:Sadly our cars are never going to be seen as classics, even the red 83 Starion on Trade Me with a starting bid of $6000 is well over priced. I paid $3600 for my 83 with 68000 kms on the clock and I still think I paid too much.
But it is still amazing the interest that the car can generate at times.

these cars are too young to be considered classics, look at how its only been in the last 5 years that datsun 1600's and RX3's etc have shot up in value.. and they're late 60's early 70's cars. starions are at the bottom of their value scale. most people want to steer clear because of a perceived difficulty in aquiring parts, thats one of the main reasons. also thats the reason why i have no trouble selling starions around here, coz everyone knows i have at least a couple of parts cars at any one time.... once all the "normal" people move out of them, and they all fall into the hands of enthusiasts, thats when prices will rise. give it another 10 years and these cars will be highly sought after.. they're only just over 20 years old eh..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote: these cars are too young to be considered classics, look at how its only been in the last 5 years that datsun 1600's and RX3's etc have shot up in value.. and they're late 60's early 70's cars. starions are at the bottom of their value scale. most people want to steer clear because of a perceived difficulty in aquiring parts, thats one of the main reasons. also thats the reason why i have no trouble selling starions around here, coz everyone knows i have at least a couple of parts cars at any one time.... once all the "normal" people move out of them, and they all fall into the hands of enthusiasts, thats when prices will rise. give it another 10 years and these cars will be highly sought after.. they're only just over 20 years old eh..
Amen! :)
How?
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Thats pretty much rubbish UK cops never used Starions, South Australian cops did, apparently they used to blow them up the whole time!

Specs for the SOHC JB were 0-60mph = 7.8secs and top of 143mph.

Shannons reckon a classic car is over 35yrs old, so the Staz has a way to go yet before it makes that status. That being said the guys at Shannons get pretty excited about the JD and always talk very enthusiastically about it!
So there is definitely interest in them in the right circles.

We just got to hang on to them and keep them going! :roll:
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

WA cops used to use the Cordia turbos - they blew them all up really quick so they did not last in the fleet very long. :roll:

My wife (who bought the car new) still believes one day it will be worth more than a few thousand dollars.... but its a long way back to $30,000. :(
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

What you paid for it hasn't much relevance when there's a run on the product.

It's all about supply and demand.

Whilst supply has always been low, the demand has never been large.

If there was increasing demand, we'd see prices increasing upwards.

Time will tell, but don't go holding your breath about them becoming an investment. :oops: - Not embarassed, running out of air!
How?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Darkelf wrote:Thats pretty much rubbish UK cops never used Starions, South Australian cops did, apparently they used to blow them up the whole time!
...unless one or more British coppers actually owned them and drove them on the M1 while they were off duty? :wink:
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

ok .....
with the small compacts creating such a stir at the moment , people are looking at rear wheel drive vehicles .
apart from the sigma turbo the starion is the only factory turbo unit in r.wheel drive format that is old and still considerd cheap .

nissan silvias and 200 sx's although good for drifting havent really caught on as the market is flooded with them .
people have started to look at other directions , datsuns are given the sr20 transplant , with up and coming 200b's to hit the scene .

since aquiring mine 3 people are on the hunt for a starion due to its rear wheel drive and factory turbo set up .
a well known workshop in melbourne who has many years experience in the drag racing scene has decided for something diffrent since working on mine .
im not saying it will happen today but it will happen ...
when people see a starion in the low nines they will start to take notice.

i didnt buy my vehicle for an investment , but beacuse i always wanted one ..
my neighbour purchased a new jd and as a 14 year old my eyes nearly popped out when i saw it ...
it was gold and looked like it went 10000 miles an hour , but when he took me out i was stunned , the power it had for the time and the fact i was only a kid made it my dream car .
for years i forgot about them until i watched cannon ball run late one night , and the hunt was on for a black one , it had to be black and that was it ....
i hardly drive it as i have not much spare time , but the comments it gets are amazing , young people ask what is it? , older people smile and say i had one or knew some body who did ...

so we all know that these thing cost almost nothing to buy , compared to what has been done to them or spent on them , so time will tell on the value of this little beast ....

looking at the prices on these over the last few years , you were lucky if you could sell one for over 5k , but today people have sold theirs for 6 7 8 and beyond 10k , so people are starting to pay attention ...
cordias are worth nothing due to fwd cofiguration , sigmas will allways have that rattly chain stigma , and so on out of all the mitso range what would you pick ????
i bet that most of you have spent a truck load of mula on your vehicles , and the thought of getting f***K all for it is the reason why you keep it , well cars are not a great investment , apart from muscle cars at the moment , but when intrest rates go up and inflation peaks the prices people pay for a gt or monaro will come back down to earth .

these cars are never going to be icons , but they will increase in time due to their racing history and cult status ...
there are not many left , when was the last time you actually seen on the road ? its not like the are every were are they .
well enough for now , im sure that most would hope that the values go up , but then again would you part with it ???
or hang on to it and keep drowning in sorrow of forever owning a money pit cos you simply love to hate it ........
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

out of all the mitso range what would you pick ????

We already have mate. :wink:
Can a car be rare when the Americans reckon they got 150,000?
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Your dead right. I'm going to buy every one I can from now on and invest for my superannuation. As good as money in the bank.

Riches here I come!!
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

MrBishi wrote:Your dead right. I'm going to buy every one I can from now on and invest for my superannuation. As good as money in the bank.

Riches here I come!!
LOL LOL
How?