Does High PSI Boost Destroy Your Engine? How To Prevent It?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

C Fernance wrote:Intercoolers and water injection basically do the same thing, its just a different way of doing it.
This is true but water injection is much more effective at what it does than an intercooler, it also gives the engine a good steam cleaning and can raise the effective octane rating of the fuel mixture when used in combonation with m/ethanol.

My guess as to why there arn't more people doing it is because it's expensive and complicated to get right. For the best results you need to reduce the amount of fuel that's being injected in proportion to the amount of water that's being added which requires an aftermarket ECU with a bit of trickery, either two seperate fuel maps or some other way of proportionally limiting the fuel flow.
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

If you do a web search on water injection you will actually find workshops with hypo engines where they have ditched the intercooler in favour of water injection
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I think the main issue that water injection isnt common is the expense of the equipment, if I recall correctly getting a water pump that can deliver enough pressure to allow the water properly atmotise is around $300 on its own. Its pretty complicated to deliver requiring an aftermarket computer that can control it or an dedicated water injection system as using a hobbs switch is a pretty crude system. Having to find a place to fit a large enough tank to keep the water and the weight penalty that goes with it, either that or having a smaller tank filling it more often. In the end people just feel like its not worth it with expensive startup and being relatively high maintenance.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

A full water methanol single stage kit here is about $480 from roguepi excluding tank and DIY installation.
Aftermarket computer ??? Y? thread i/c piping, boost activated 180cc /minute should do, tapped off of stock washer bottle running a water methanol mix.
Feel free to argue, , , if u've tried and failed.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
ROCKETMAN
Big Dorifto

Post by ROCKETMAN »

According to what I was told at tafe, the car's warranty is a good indication to how long a factory built engine lasts without problems(not just meeting emission regulations).

If the tune, balancing, pistons etc are properly done the engine should last just as long or longer? There are too many variables, warming up, how much boost and outside temperature conditions.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

The reason why you would want an aftermarket computer is to take full advantage of the knock reduction that water injection gives, ie being able to increase your ign timing. A hobbs switch (ie the boost activation in the kit) is a pretty crude way of switching on the water injection, it will work but its a comprimise. Just be careful with using the stock washer bottle, depending on the ratio of water to meth, it can be flammable.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
igottasicjb
I like starions more

Post by igottasicjb »

boost will wear you engine out quicker. back in ww2 the germans has cruise missiles called buzz bombs which were quicker than the spitfire in standard form.so in order to shoot down these bombs roles roice made a variable boost controller and ran up to 115 psiof boost on a 32 ltr v12 merlon engine with 100 octane fuel and watermethanol injection. power went from standard 1750hp at 66 psi to around 3600ish hp. however the engine could only cope with about a minute of this boost before they died. without water methanol the engine wouldn't last this long.

high boost will kill a motor faster than standard boost, no matter how good the tune is. how acurate the tune is and the strength of engine componants and the abillity to prevent dentonation and maintain internal cooling will determine the life of the engine and of course how self controlled the right foot is has a factor too.
boost = the replacement for displacement
<<<PIGS can fly
FlawlessVictory
tosser

Post by FlawlessVictory »

Ahhhhh Methanol injection, i do love it, From a person that have used metho injection in a cordia, its a very good experience, lets just say that I call it Mini Nitrous, It works very well, lots of fun too. Ill give example >

Un-intercooled cordia efficiency boost level = 10psi

With methanol injection i was able to do PERFECT 20 psi, i was amazed, but yeah, it does work, i highly reccomend such a system, its cheap and easy to install.

I had my methanol injection in my white cordia, it was a 150psi sur flow pump, full system, i bought mine complete for $300.

The result is very surprising try it out, i had mine pre turbo and not intercooled. When the system activates its instant pull of power, a little brother of nitrous, if anyone doesnt belive me, try it out and see for yourself.

I do have methanol injection vids, but seeing that a mod doesnt want forum members to see tech and interesting methanol injection vids, i wont post it up, if you want to see them, look in my youtube profile.