From one problem to another

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

From one problem to another

Post by Junkers »

Ok so I fixed my brakes..

Now the whole engine has starting vibrating like mad and clicking or rattling something, I'm not sure :x. I'm unsure what could cause it as it only does it when it's warmish/warm.. not when cold. Does this sound like a balance shaft bearing on it's way out?
What was interesting is when it first started happening the vibrations came in waves of 2 seconds then normal for 2 seconds then vibrating for 2 seconds etc. I can also feel it vibrating throughout the rev range but not as vividly as it when it idles, less so the more i rev.

I hope someone out there can help me?!?!?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

undo the plug leads slightly, then using a brake line clamp (the plastic type to insulate yourself) pull each lead off and back on in turn to see if u have a cylinder misfiring. u can sometimes get a knock from a misfire. a balance shaft bearing is a hollow wobbly knocking sound, usually wont cause a vibration.. let us know what happens!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Tested the leads, theres definatley spark there.
The plugs look fine too apart from a little oil on the O ring. I'm lost?!?! The vibrations tend to change in pattern with the heat of the engine which maybe a clue? The rings are shot I know this for sure, could this cause it? There at the point where it'll pull up until the gauge hit's 0 psi then anything after seems to loose power slightly.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

There is a balance issue there for sure. Is this a new/old engine? Tell me more and i shall cure it with my magic wand.
:beer
2lturbs
I like starions

Post by 2lturbs »

you balance shaft has spun a bearing and its jamming up jumping teeth on your timming belt the noise is the balance bearing getting thrown around drop sump asap
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

If you dropped a balance shaft bearing you would have seriously low oil pressure.

Do you have low oil pressure?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

The indicator arm sits between the two red mark at idle when the engine is warm, the edges of the arm do not go beyond the red marks.

Too low? Will I find a bearing from the bearing fairy if I drop the sump?

It's strange because the vibrations stopped when I took my lunch break but now they're back.
insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Post by insane_clown »

compaired to my pressure that is very low. I think what they have said in the pervious post they have hit the nail on the head.
1981 Mitsubishi Scorpion Import
4G63 2.0Lt Turbo
L300 Intake Manifold 450cc Injectors
Microtech MTX-8 ECU
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Ohhhh.......bugger. Ye, sounds like it may be the bearing. It's usually the oil pump side, but just take the belt off the drivers side one and see if the vibes are gone. You will still need to loose the shaft/s to fix it. I have written up somewhere how to do it the easiest way.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

If I disconnected the balance shaft belt would that not mean theres just one weight spining in one direction putting it WAY out of balance?
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

In some cases i have found there is hardly a difference. In others it's terrible...but you can do it and see if it has changed the issue you have. But if we go to this extent then you may as well drop the sump, take the front off and do the shaft removal procedure. This will restore your oil pressure and clear up the problems that the shafts cause. You may even notice a little more power in that sucker.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I'm about to drop a new engine in within the next month so I don't really want to spend anything on this one. How do I remove the shafts with the engine in place, it's not really as if I can just slide the shafts out, do I need to cut them with a angle grinder or something?
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

You need to take the front off and slide them out, then cut them and weld the backs up so no oil passes through. the one on the drivers side needs to be cut after the first bearing and the oil pump one needs to be cut at the back of the pump, close to the housing.
starrzzy
Lil' Dorifto

Post by starrzzy »

This may help and save Flav some time ...

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... 04&start=0

Pic on page 2

Did my Balance shaft few months ago ... cut the shaft with a hacksaw..
cost was :- seal, sump gasket, Front cover gasket.. just under $60.00..
Last edited by starrzzy on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Thanks Matey. I knew you were around somewhere!
:beer