Help to quit smoking

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

Blowing oil can be all of the above.... oil seals in turbo shot, as in exhaust turbo seal leaking oil into the exhaust pipe, or compressor oil seal leaking oil into the compressor of the turbo. ( pull off the crossover pipe from the turbo to the inlet manifold and see if there is any oil in the pipe ).
Or it might be lots of blow by from worn piston rings. As in combustion gases get past the pistons and pressurise the sump. ( dip stick pops out, is a good sign of worn rings ), The PCV valve into the rocker cover can be blocked, that will make the dip stick pop out too.
The valve guides can be stuffed as well, that will suck in oil and make smoke too. Change the oil and oil filter before you rip the car apart, and see what that does first.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

If enough pressure is getting into your oil sump to push the dipstick out, isn't the least of your worries a new dipstick?
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Abalistic wrote:Blowing oil can be all of the above.... oil seals in turbo shot, as in exhaust turbo seal leaking oil into the exhaust pipe, or compressor oil seal leaking oil into the compressor of the turbo. ( pull off the crossover pipe from the turbo to the inlet manifold and see if there is any oil in the pipe ).
Or it might be lots of blow by from worn piston rings. As in combustion gases get past the pistons and pressurise the sump. ( dip stick pops out, is a good sign of worn rings ), The PCV valve into the rocker cover can be blocked, that will make the dip stick pop out too.
The valve guides can be stuffed as well, that will suck in oil and make smoke too. Change the oil and oil filter before you rip the car apart, and see what that does first.
What does changing the oil and filter tell you about the the blow by? Im having the same problem and Im trying to source the problem.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Superscan
Big Dorifto

Post by Superscan »

Don't know if this helps but what if the non-return valve is stuffed going into your rocker cover. When you back off, it would pressurise the engine instead of keeping the vacuum. this would POP out the dipstick AND probably push oil out every orifice that wasn't well sealed.

Just a thought.
13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

this (RINGS) a bell

Post by 13secJA »

digitalsko dont be silly you saw first hand my car blowing the dip stick out. the final result was fatal. i had already re-built the turbo in hope it was causing the smoke, (and yes it improved the smoke problem) but if your getting enough preasure in the crank case to blow the dip stick out and it is blowing smoke then you got cracked or worn rings. keep driving it and you could break the ring land off the piston. these motors are notorious for it. usually valve stem seals blow little puffs of blue smoke when cold and at idle (under great vacume the oil is sucked it) and in my experience when turbo seals go they get worse very quickly and before you know it the smoke is so bad you will smoke out whole streets. do a compression test and all will be revealed. my money is on the rings.[/b]
El-Jayz Speed Shop sells a great selection engine internals, Turbo Chargers, Waste-Gates, Intercoolers, Manifolds, Blow-Off Valves, Boost Controllers, Fuel pumps, Injectors, Pipe Work, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolt Clamps, Gaskets etc.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

The blow-by / auto-dipstick removal is the same the day I bought the car in 2002 (?) to the day I sold it to digitalsko.
We both know the engine isn't 100%, but I don't think it's likely to explode unless given arseholes.

digitalsko, there is a nice set of arias forged pistons on eBay ATM (hint hint).
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 13secJA »

given his planed manifold, turbo and dump pipe upgrade. i thought he was planing to give it arseholes. but yeah i agree a little bit of blow by not so bad but blow by and now lots of smoke, not so good.
El-Jayz Speed Shop sells a great selection engine internals, Turbo Chargers, Waste-Gates, Intercoolers, Manifolds, Blow-Off Valves, Boost Controllers, Fuel pumps, Injectors, Pipe Work, Silicone Hoses, T-Bolt Clamps, Gaskets etc.
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

yeah i know..... i wish i could forge it.... but ran out of money :( anyway will do a comp test as soon as i can.
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Even a compression test wont tell you much as I'm having the same problem and compression for all 4 cyl is all around the 160psi mark.

13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 13secJA »

is there any oil on your plugs? drive the car then turn it off remove the oil cap, does any smoke come out? there is one other simple possibility you may not have checked. the fitting in the front corner of your rocker cover which has a hose going to your inlet manifold. it has a one way valve in it. if the valve is stuffed it lets boost preasure into the cover causing the dip stick to blow out and pushes oil out the other hose into your air cleaner then into your engine causing the smoke.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

What does smoke coming out of the oil cap section tell you? Like I mean steam smoke.
13secJA
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 13secJA »

not steam all cars will steam on a cool day. i mean smoke you will smell it. if there is smoke coming out of the rocker cover it is because fire from the combustion chamber has burnt the oil. and the only way that can happen is if it leaked past the compression rings.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Yeah the oil is going through the combustion as the plugs are constantly fouled by the oil. There isnt any smoke coming out of the oil cap filler hole nor does the oil cap jitter went you leave it on but not tighten.

insane_clown
Big Dorifto

Post by insane_clown »

I havn't had a chance too look at the car yet (due to family related issues), but I'm going to drive it tomorrow and see what it does with boost set to 6psi instead of 15 psi. When I get a chance I will do a compression test and see what it says.

I will let you all know what what I get.

:beer
1981 Mitsubishi Scorpion Import
4G63 2.0Lt Turbo
L300 Intake Manifold 450cc Injectors
Microtech MTX-8 ECU
2lturbs
I like starions

Post by 2lturbs »

rebuild you can do it for 1000 bux crank ground down block cleaned up balance shafts removed least you know it will be all good i haid second haND MOTORS rebuild them so you know whats good and what isnt
my starion has hit a tree and a roundabout and she loves it to.....