Gass struts

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
pcuser51
I like starions

Gass struts

Post by pcuser51 »

:D Hi guys does any one know if you can regas the rear struts on the starion hatch :?:
CHEERS ALAN
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

gas strut

Post by Starion VR4 »

yes they can be regassed, normal working pressure is 1100psi had mine gassed up to 1400psi, don't stand to close when you open boot, every time strut goes through it's range a small amout of gas is released, over time gas pressure becomes low and not much help, regas usually takes 30min around $ 20-30 per strut. 8)

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

when gassed to the standard 1100psi does the boot lid go up itself when the boot lever is pulled?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

yes, jst like a current new car gas lift system, my advise is only get it around 1100-1200psi, at the higher pressure the hatch twists if your not in the centre, and my partner can't shut it( or her mouth for that matter)!

cheers 8)

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Cam
c'mon change my thingy

Post by Cam »

I had mine exchanged. i dont think anyone should do this, they lasted a week or two then were back to how they used to be. but ever since i put those struts in the rear wiper doesnt work, ive since changed them again but it still doesnt work! Fucking Starions!
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Cam wrote:I had mine exchanged. i dont think anyone should do this, they lasted a week or two then were back to how they used to be. but ever since i put those struts in the rear wiper doesnt work, ive since changed them again but it still doesnt work! Fucking Starions!
There is a set of contacts in the struts for the rear wiper and rear demister. Clean them up and perhaps give them a slight bend so they make better contact. Should have your wiper working in now time.
Cam
c'mon change my thingy

Post by Cam »

Cookie i did all that and still no go =(
i tested the motor on the wiper its fine. i has power getting to it the motor is fine i have no fucking clue what it is!
my rear demister doesnt work coz the contact broke off the window and i lost it
pcuser51
I like starions

Gass struts

Post by pcuser51 »

:lol: Thanks guys for your imput. Cookie my rear wiper does not work as well iwill try what you said :wink:
CHEERS ALAN
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Cookiemonster wrote:There is a set of contacts in the struts for the rear wiper and rear demister. Clean them up and perhaps give them a slight bend so they make better contact. Should have your wiper working in now time.
Yep I did this and now both my demister and wiper work perfectly.

Wise words Cookie-san
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

where exactly are these contacts? my wiper works great but i've never had the rear demister working.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

They're just inside the black plastic part of the strut where the metal rod slides in and out of.

3 contacts in each gas strut.
Last edited by Cookiemonster on Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

deeks, check the wiring on the RHS strut to see if there may be a problem with the demister wiring.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Rear Wiper not working

Post by Darkelf »

Cam, make sure when they did the struts they didn't move the hatch on it's mountings.

My rear stuff didn't work when the car was rebuilt. I was up with David Hinde one day and we discovered that the hatch had been moved and wasn't making contact with the contacts in the struts.

Loosen the two mounting screws and gently try moving the hatch up or down to improve the contacts. Be careful though!

As I recall we moved the hatch down and bingo the rear wiper started working. The demister still doesn't work though but I think that might be a wiring issue back towards the switch. Will investigate that one day. :D
slowboy
[L] Plates

Post by slowboy »

if you open the hatch and look at the struts you will see a black collar at the hatch end this contains the contacts (three ball bearings as cookie described) these need to fit into the strut body when the hatch is closed. i think from memory there is a little adjustment screw on this colar, just push it in towards the car a bit and re tighte... viola, the wiper and demister should work.... hope this helps. :D