starion missing and idle problems

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
matstar1000
[L] Plates

starion missing and idle problems

Post by matstar1000 »

My starion has been going great for ages so now it is its turn to play up. The car runs fine for ages, say on a trip from the gold coast to Brisbane it cruises fine then as soon I get to Brisbane and as I slow down and the revs get below 2000Rpm it starts to miss and jerk (cuts out) and then wont idle at lights. You have to hold your foot on the accelerator to make it idle and this has to be done over 2000Rpm. If you try to do it at say 1500 it dies. If you let your foot of the accelerator it will idle very rough at 400rpm, and may stall. If you take off it will jerk around and almost bunny hop, but if you rev it and get some boost up its fine. It's like once the gauge shows it boosting it runs perfect. It will boost and rev fine, just doesn't seem to like putting on 2000prm and not on boost. It has a new fuel pump and all the lines seem to be clean (I had a fuel blockage problem before) All the vac hoses are on and the spark pugs were fine. The car starts perfect in the mornings and idle fine when cold. It's almost like its a intermintant problem. could it be the idle control motor? What else should I check?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

That's a strange one, might pay to check your ignition timing and spark plugs just for the sake of it, I somehow don't think thats the problem.

When one of the hoses on my last intercooled starion blew off, it did exactly what you describe, it would idle at around 200rpm/stall byitself and need a hell of alot of revs to make it move without stalling and yes it also idled very roughly.

So after all that it would be my guess that your problem is with the airflow meter, but it makes me wonder why your car would run fine when warming up :?

What amount of revs does your starion sit at when your first crank it over while it's cold?
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

could be vaccuum loss, (it's my favourite fault this month) check for collasing hoses ( the thin ones)
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Does your boost gauge go silly when the bad symptoms happen? If so, I'd check the rubber gasket and all the o-rings in your MAP sensor.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I've had a similar problem and it turned out to be the MAF sensor. The engine bay would heat up and cause contact to be broken to the wiring.
Just another something to check...
JPC
almost postwhore

Re: ...

Post by JPC »

NachoMan wrote:I've had a similar problem and it turned out to be the MAF sensor. The engine bay would heat up and cause contact to be broken to the wiring.
Just another something to check...
While you're checking the connector to the AFM, also clean/check the connector to the injector solenoid resistor pack (mounted to the driver's side of the radiator, in front of the airbox). Heat can have the same effect here.

See: http://austarion.com/forums/view ... highlight=
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )