Zeroshift

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Zeroshift

Post by CussCuss »

ok this has been around for a little while on pf, but it could never be explained how exactly it worked due to them not having the patents yet. But now they do there is a nice little writeup in a racecar engineering and anyone who knows this mag knows how much weight they carry.
http://www.zeroshift.com/pdf/RcarN6V15_Zeroshift.pdf
theres the article

what it is is a modification of a gearbox so that the gearchange is instant, not 500ms instant and has no drop in torque at all. In a previous article racecar said something along the lines of 'its not inconcieveable that in 10 years time, every car will be running a gearbox based on the zeroshift principle'

once you read it and get it, you will see why.
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

sounds like the new trannie in the golf GTi, and what they tryed in the late 80's early 90's le mans cars.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
bizcutman
[L] Plates

Post by bizcutman »

you wanna drive the new colt with its continuisly variable transmision, bucketloads less moving parts, infinate ratio range, zero shift included. Currently used on U.S lancers and has allready proven pretty much bullet proof. Once you've driven the colt you crave for a cvt with 200kw
jakobsladderz

Post by jakobsladderz »

I would like to try one of the twin-clutch manuals. each even gear is on one clutch, odd gears on the other. Because each gear is already selected, changing gears is a matter of transferring from clutch-to-clutch, something that can be done really quickly.. they'd be very cool..
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.
SOWTZ

Post by SOWTZ »

jakobsladderz wrote:I would like to try one of the twin-clutch manuals. each even gear is on one clutch, odd gears on the other. Because each gear is already selected, changing gears is a matter of transferring from clutch-to-clutch, something that can be done really quickly.. they'd be very cool..
thats what the golf GTi and Porsche's (la mans) have/had Porsche discontinued it because it was to expensive, but the drivers loved it, won races too. havent had a chance to drive the GTi yet but drove the colt awile ago, its so cool put your foot to the floor the revs jump to the spot of peak power and it stays there as the car speeds up! i was told by the dealer to 'give it hell, cause it can take it and more' so i did :twisted:
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

to expensive :( thats not good
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

SOWTZ wrote:
jakobsladderz wrote:I would like to try one of the twin-clutch manuals. each even gear is on one clutch, odd gears on the other. Because each gear is already selected, changing gears is a matter of transferring from clutch-to-clutch, something that can be done really quickly.. they'd be very cool..
thats what the golf GTi and Porsche's (la mans) have/had Porsche discontinued it because it was to expensive, but the drivers loved it, won races too. havent had a chance to drive the GTi yet but drove the colt awile ago, its so cool put your foot to the floor the revs jump to the spot of peak power and it stays there as the car speeds up! i was told by the dealer to 'give it hell, cause it can take it and more' so i did :twisted:
That sounds more like CVT, than what jakobs is talking about.

The downfall to CVT was its weakness, its driven by a belt. New Honda's came with it as an option, and the owners here are learning quickly that its a pain in the ass.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

yeah i have looked at other transmissions, nothing seems to come close to this.
SOWTZ

Post by SOWTZ »

Transmission: DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox)

DSG is a manual gearbox in which the gearshifts are controlled electronically. What makes the DSG unique is that it has 2 separate gear sets operated by 2 wet multi-plate clutches (1st, 3rd, 5th on one gear set, plus 2nd, 4th, 6th on the other).

The benefit of 2 gear sets and 2 multi-plate wet clutches is that one gear set and clutch is engaged driving the vehicle with the second clutch having already pre-selected the next gear awaiting for power to be transferred.

As the next gear has already been preselected prior to power being applied, the gear change only takes 3 to 4 hundredths of a second. There is virtually no interruption to power, traction or acceleration.
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/ne ... review.htm