What Petrol do you run???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
camstuart52@
[P] Plater austaz

What Petrol do you run???

Post by camstuart52@ »

Out of interest i was wondering what type of juice you run, such has unleaded, leaded or premium and what would you recommend in the starion. heard mixed reports or whether to run premium or whether or not you casn just run standard unleaded???
Give me all the advice you`ve got please!!! ;)
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

running unleaded (regular) @ 10 psi

You can use whatever fuel you want, probably best to run premium or better for higher boost applications.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

since petrol is at a record high, what harm (if any) will be done to the car in the long run if i use regular 91 unleaded?

ive been running my starion with 98 octane, BP ULTIMATE and SHELL OPTIMAX for the 1 year and few months ive owned it..

the car will be noticably weaker with regular unleaded.. if no harm will be done to the engine, if fuel lines wont get clogged up or anything else i should be concerned about, im thinking of using regular unleaded for a while as im very poor atm..
silvastazza
[P] Plates

Post by silvastazza »

BP Ultimate for me :( I hate payin so bloody much for it tho..
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Yeah price is the reanson I run 91 octane, was previously running 350 km's a week in Starion and they started phasing out LRP so I made the switch.

Car wont have as much pickup as with 98 octane but for daily driving its fine. have been running for at least 8 months on unleaded without issue.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

91 won't hurt the engine assuming you don't do too many full power runs etc. For daily commuting it will be fine, but if you run 98 normally you will notice a difference.
Last fill I put in the new shell 95 stuff. 4 cents lees than 98 and with a docket 4 cents less again so 2 cents more than 91 unleaded. So far no noticable difference in performance, but I've just been driving to and from work......

BTW How big is a starion fuel tank again cos my gauge was nearly below the E line and it took 66 litres. If you can supposedly fit 75 does that mean you have to fill up the filler neck and everything?
AXELR8
I love starions

Post by AXELR8 »

First of all... normal unleaded shouldn't clog your fuel lines... doesn't clog up other cars fuel lines.... just do the regular maintainence... fuel filter... and an occasional bottle of injector cleaner... and don't run high boost...
As Starion_Turbo said... he has been running on it for a while and had no problems... just be sensible

And response to Alspos....
Yep.. It's 75 litres Al....
Maybe your fuel sender unit needs calibrating... and it is fairly old remember.....
Does your low fuel light still work?
Mine does...and it is fairly accurate...
When mine comes on.... and stays on..... i have around 10 litres left in the tank (takes around 65 litres to fill to the top)
Have you changed the gauge faces?
If you remove the needle... you have to place it back in the right position, as there is no locking position for the needle to align(?) with the pin in the gauge (like a dizzy)...

maybe fill the tank right up... then take the cover off your gauge cluster... and align the needle with the "F" mark on the gauge... (turn it while still on the pin)...

Maybe that will help you a little Al....

otherwise... get used to knowing that when the needle sits below "E" in your car... you still have 11 litres left in your tank..

and no... the 75litre rating is for the tank only.. not including the filler neck....silly man :)
You think that's fast??? You got nothin' on Roger!!
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

I've driven my car for nearly 100km below the line (don't worry, normally I don't let it get below 1/4).
Going through my records, the biggest fill I had was 72L. I got 660km to that tank :). The guys in the servo's are always shocked to see that much petrol go into such a small car.

i definately notice a difference between 98ron fuel and the 95 stuff, but then I'm running an aftermarket comptuer.. The standard starion should run fine on 95 (normal premium unleaded). Originally they were tuned for 96 ron super.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I always use 96 Unleaded. I beleive its also got those cleaning additives in it, which help keep the fuel system nice and clean.

If there is a 98 pump, I'll use that sometimes. But generally 96, and never 91. Mine have run on 91, but perform better on 96 (well feels that way when driving anyway).
otherwise... get used to knowing that when the needle sits below "E" in your car... you still have 11 litres left in your tank..
Thats a good score. My old one had uncalibrated itself the wrong way. It ran out of gas at 1/4 of a tank according to the gauge.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
camstuart52@
[P] Plater austaz

Post by camstuart52@ »

Yeh and thats what i thought as much, I have been running premium and shit its been expensive, well unleaded for me until i sell the car i guess. Thanks to all that responded........

Couldn`t find anything in the forum about it so i thought i might ask the question
Give me all the advice you`ve got please!!! ;)
Kremmen
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Kremmen »

SpidersWeb wrote:But generally 96, and never 91. Mine have run on 91, but perform better on 96 (well feels that way when driving anyway).
I don't know how it manages. The one time 91 was put in my car, the clatters of disgust under acceleration were a remarkably good impression of a diesel truck.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

whatever pump i pull up next to... its always a hastle starting when i put diesel in there for some reason.... no idea why...
1983 JA Staz
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Mobil Synergy 8000 seems the best (ie most consistent) in Marie's car.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex 98... Depends which town I'm in when I get low on fuel.
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

98 Ultimate