welding a diff

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

welding a diff

Post by bigmoz »

hey people i have a diff that i blew over summer im setting up my car for some drifto action so i was wondering where i should go it get my diff welded (VL STYLE)

big moz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

doing this puts alot of strain on the car cause there is no give at all, so you can do this cheap but are going to have to replace other things as they brake.
I'm Back
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Any engineering place should be able to do it. But you'll have to drain it and clean and degrease it as much as possible. Welders don't like things that can go bang.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

as said, not only will this place stress on your diff, but also on the axles and wheels studs, anything in the back really. A mate in his rx7 has snapped an axle clean in half and also sheared the wheel studs off with a locker
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

and makes the car push (understeer) like crazy.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Moz mentioned something about motorsport use only in another post.

So on a track at speed should be less stressful than doing a u turn in the street.

A friend had a locker on his RX3 and he used to drive it to work occasionally. Funny watching him reverse out of the carpark, chirp, chirp, chirp all the way.
rosco
Big Dorifto

Re: welding a diff

Post by rosco »

bigmoz wrote:hey people i have a diff that i blew over summer im setting up my car for some drifto action so i was wondering where i should go it get my diff welded (VL STYLE)

big moz :pimp
I drive a VLT but won;t take it to heart.

Make sure any bits of slag havent fallen in loose into the housing. I know a guy with 253 bluebird (80's style) and he ripped holes in his diff and badly damaged the undercarage when a bit of slag bounced around inside it.

He was real carefull with the next one and hasn't had a problem in the 6 months before he sold the car
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Moz. This is an ugly Modification.....but i would be happy to do it for you.
WankMastaJ
[P] Plater austaz

Post by WankMastaJ »

Wouldnt spending a grand or so now on a LSD be better than having to always pay for things when they fall apart and constantly wondering what will break next?
It may be a shitbox...
BUT ITS MY SHITBOX
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

WankMastaJ wrote:Wouldnt spending a grand or so now on a LSD be better than having to always pay for things when they fall apart and constantly wondering what will break next?
Yes, 1000 times better.
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

im just a bit shit off i this is my third diff in 18 months..... thee first was an lsd and i didnt realy know what that ment when i replaced it so it was turfed when i put in my second diff that was bought from a wrecker that lasted about a hole of 5 months the next is one that i bought from flav in january its still good it wines like a bitch when i reverse... if ionly i had spent a bit of money when the first one fucked up i could have some double spinning action back... " O, HOW I HAVE MISSED THAT DOUBLE SPINNING " well any ways thats enuff crying from me i dont think ill do it if it fucks up other stuff on the car ill just add that to the list of stuff to upgrade i the not so distant future

bigmoz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

all starion diffs whine
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

dont' all cars whine in reverse? is it diff or gearbox whine? is it just as annoying as female whine?
_

Post by flappa »

Gearbox, because reverse gear is usually straight cut.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Yes, straight cut it is but the diffs are all whining bitches like most whining female bitches...thats alot of whining. My apologies to all the nice girls... and dont go crunching reverse as it will chip a tooth and mate, if you do that are you up for the whining of your life.

Moz, i gave you warranty with that diff and i also checked it out and replaced all the seals. I have other diffs if you want to come bring your car here and do a direct swap if its stupidly noisy.