dash turbo engine computer system

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
matstar1000
[L] Plates

dash turbo engine computer system

Post by matstar1000 »

Hey I have a dash turbo engine from a few years ago complete with the standard computer and loom , but we could never get the thing to spark. It would fire the injectors and move the idle control etc. I was wondering if anyone else has ever got one of these motors to run using the standard management system. hope to hear from someone
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

When I first bought my Starion, it had a dash engine, but i'm pretty sure it still had the standard computer. Reasons being, I had to drill out the ecu bolts as there was no way I could get them out with a screwdriver (suggesting it had never been removed before), and the wires out the back of the head weren't connected to anything.

So yeah, it does seem like it will run on a standard ecu - it just won't run the extra valves.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Yes the standard starion ECU will run the DASH engine.. you will just lose control of the 2nd inlet valve solenoid. It will still run though.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Running a DASH at the moment.

Post by Abalistic »

I have a DASH in my JA now, and it is running well on the JA ECU.
As Cookie said, you will not be able to switch on or off the 2nd inlet valves. Leaving the solenoid plug disconnected will let the 2nd inlet valves run all the time. It will idle abit rougher due to the lumpier cam of those valves, but it will go ok.
You won't have the power you should get from a DASH because the factory DASH ecu also drives a 3rd staged injector with more boost.
You could possibly install a pressure switch which would switch in a 3rd injector at a higher boost, which was connected in parallel with the other injectors. Or go for an after market ECU.

A.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
matstar1000
[L] Plates

Post by matstar1000 »

Thanks Guys but what I meant is that I have the actual dash computer and loom out of an eterna from NZ, I was wondering if anyone had used the dash computer rather than a aftermarket one or the starion. With the solinoid is it possibe to apply power and make it run the third valve all the time.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Im a bit confused about what your asking. You have a DASH computer and loom to run in your Starion.. but what engine do you have? If it is a DASH engine then whats the problem?

In a DASH engine if no power is applied to the solenoid then the 3rd valve will operate all the time. You need to apply power to disable the valve operation.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

a couple of thoughts here.
cookie is correct, solenoid power OFF to activate the 2nd inlet valve.
you could control the inlet valve solenoid via a switch on the gear selector, such that the second inlet valve was not active in neutral and 1st gear.
you could also control it via a switch on the throttle so that it was only active past 25% throttle opening, for example.
the dash setup i have does not have a third injector, nor was there ever provision for it in the manifold. but then, there may be some manifolds that did have that feature.
and last point, the dash injectors i have seen were two different size squirters, flowing about 750cc and 1350cc. the JA ecu fires the injectors alternately, presumably for the same duration, so god knows what the mixture proportions are like.
Dave.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

One way to use the 8 Valve ECU with a 12 valve DASh engine is to retin the top half of the JB inlet manifold on the bottom half of the 12V one. This is how my old JB was set up when I bought it. It also had a relayed switch to turn the power off the third valves' solenoid.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Cookiemonster wrote:Im a bit confused about what your asking.
I think that is a sign that you are getting old :p :beer
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I am confused too, and I'm only 4 years older than my car.

If you have a DASH motor and DASH computer it will work, provided its hooked up properly

If you got no spark it was more likely to be a faulty coil than anything else. Newer Starions had the DASH motor stock standard, I didn't even know you could get an Eterna with a DASH engine hmm interesting!! Never thought about that. Of course I'm looking for a newer Eterna or Galant with a sexy DOHC turbo engine ehehe :)
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Saw one go for $1500 in an auction, dash engine, tc06, factory intercooler (same as starion).

could be a good buy for a conversion... hmmmm

holy crap... why have i not thought of this before... stupid stupid stupid!
matstar1000
[L] Plates

dash computer

Post by matstar1000 »

I bought this engine to use in the off road buggy I was running. I used to have a older starion imported engine which was only 1800cc. It was not the cordia motor as it had the 13 inch bell housing, but the setup was old and it run a suck through carby as aftermarket computers were expensive when this motor was first set up. anyway it died so I got hold of a dash import and ended up getting a loom and computer from New Zealand. There was no ignitor attached to the coil like on a magna and the distributor was different to any other mitsubishi I could find. I even sourced a wiring diagram from Japan but that did not show a ignitor either and the guy in NZ ensured me he sent everthing and that the computer fired the coil (ie no external ignitor). I had two computers to try and because it would pulse the injectors we figured that the distributor was working as it sent a signal back to the ECU about engine RMP. We tested the coil and it was fine, even tried the magna one. In the end I spent so much time and money on this I just canned it and put a V6 holden in it. But I have always had a soft spot for starions and was thinking about a project with the dash motor If I could find someone who knows about the factory Dash managment system.
Abalistic

U need an Igniter box.

Post by Abalistic »

Ok, I think I'm with U now, " U have no Spark ".
U need an igniter box,
The Igniton system on a starion runs seperate to the ECU. The ECU gets a signal from the dizzy, and it uses those pulses to enable the fuel pump and to time the injecter pulses.
If you have an optical dizzy you will need the igniter box that accepts that signal. If you cannot get that dizzy, then put in a JA one, and use a JA igniter box.
A good test for the ignition system is written up in the Mitsubishi workshop manual..... You can take out the Distributer, turn on the Ignition and spin the distributer by hand, you should get sparks out of the coil, and you will hear the fuel pump start up.
Hope this is of help.
:) :)
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
Abalistic

Also

Post by Abalistic »

Sorry I forgot to say that on a Dash Starion the 3rd fuel injector lives in the crossover pipe from the Turbo.

Cheers,

A.
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.