Alternator trouble

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Drift
[L] Plates

Alternator trouble

Post by Drift »

Hi everyone

I am having some trouble with my alternator.. i think its gone cos its stopped working...
My car blew oil all above it and not the plugs at the back are sortov oily so im thinking it could be that.
Do you guys recon i should change the whole alternator or could it just be the plugs...I did check that they are plugged in properly.

Secondly... do you change it from above or below that car... cos i gonna try doin it myself cos i got no money atm...

Finally... What alternator can i get from it?
ive seen 95 galant and LM magna on other posts...
im lookin for the cheapest one :)

Thanks for any help!!
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Lots of oil has probably killed it.. i've done it a couple of times (damn power steering fluid).

If you want to get it out by yourself, it's easy except that you need to get your arms down between the turbo and the heat shield which is pretty tough. Of course, if you were smarter than me, you might remove the heat shield and possibly the p/s pump which would make it a 5 minute job :)

If it's rooted and you have to replace it, a TM magna alternator fits and is significantly cheaper.
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

Another way to get the alternator out, which is fairly quick, is to take out the thermo fans, ( 4 bolts and some plugs ). Then its easy to get to the belts to loosen off and to get to the big bolt at the bottom of the alternator.
Then, the alternator can come thru the front and out.
Just remember to disconnect the battery, or you will short out the alternator taking the wires off.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Abalistic wrote:Just remember to disconnect the battery, or you will short out the alternator taking the wires off.
Just to make sure it's dead rofl
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I forgot to disconnect the wiring once when removing the alternator... I heard a sizzle and then all this smoke. I ran for the fire extinguisher, but realised that it had blown the fusible link near the battery (lucky it was there!).

Yes, always disconnect the battery as I once set my Sigma on fire when I pulled the inlet manifold off and it touched something live igniting all the fuel in the runners :)