Sigma with starion engine???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Tungsten
[L] Plates

Sigma with starion engine???

Post by Tungsten »

im thinking about buying a turbo sigma that is for sale here in adelaide. Its in pretty good condition and would be alright if i could get the price down to about $2300 or so.

Basically its a gk sigma with a starion engine in it and it runs on LPG. To me it seems to run absolutely perfect and i cant find anything wrong with the engine itself.

But i got a couple of questions to ask you guys though.

Firstly because it can only run on LPG does it mean that it does not need an ECU because there is no fuel injection? is that right?

Secondly the stock temperature gauge in the car is always hot and the needle basically points to H part of the meter. It has a new radiator and after about 15 min with the engine on and driving the car it seems to run fine.

Theres no smoke, no smell, no coolant leak and it does not affect the way the car revs and drives at all.

Normally if the needle of the temp guage points to the H your car is basically stuffed and it wont go until you wait for it to cool down. This guy is telling me that the temp gauge is stuffed because the car's just getting old. I know its hard but is there any easy way to tell if the car really has a heat problem or not?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

plug another temp gauge onto the coolant temp sensor...
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

LPG is just another liquid fuel . Have you seen the motor. You should be able to tell if it has a carby or is using injection. There is no other way of getting the fuel in.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: Sigma with starion engine???

Post by cheaterparts »

Tungsten wrote:
Firstly because it can only run on LPG does it mean that it does not need an ECU because there is no fuel injection? is that right?

Secondly the stock temperature gauge in the car is always hot
I know its hard but is there any easy way to tell if the car really has a heat problem or not?
striaght gas no ECU is used it prob uses a blow through gas research
LPG carb

stardard gauges can be un reliable
fit an aftermarked temp gauge

cheater
Tungsten
[L] Plates

Post by Tungsten »

Paradoxx wrote:plug another temp gauge onto the coolant temp sensor...
As i havent bought the car yet, does it take long to plug in? as i dont want to look like an idiot in front of the owner taking half an hour just to check it. Any way i'll look into it and give it a try.

what are the disadvantages of running a carb gas setup? as thats what it prob is.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

Tungsten wrote:
what are the disadvantages of running a carb gas setup? as thats what it prob is.
I think fast four mag had just had a LPG sigma with a 2.6 in its pages
245 Kw at wheels and did a 12.2 - 1/4
LPG dosen't look that bad to me
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

I remeber reading somwhere that lpg has a higher octane and hence has a higher knock ratio? allowing higher levels of advance to be ran which is great for all cars esp turbos.
Someone please correct me if this is wrong
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

ahh gas carby cars, mate they are great for fuel cost shit for perfromance...simple as that seeing how I've had my gas JA for 6 years I'm starting to learn that the gas system is limited...but still good fun.

Dave
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

I once saw a Torana with a 350 Chev that was turbo'd and running LPG. Had twin gas carbs with water injection and additional lpg injection directly into the inlet manifold on boost. Also used a front alloy bull bar as an intercooler. The rather elderly owner said that the only problem he has is that it keeps twisting tailshafts.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

fil wrote:I remeber reading somwhere that lpg has a higher octane and hence has a higher knock ratio? allowing higher levels of advance to be ran which is great for all cars esp turbos.
Someone please correct me if this is wrong
straight propane is the go the stuff ya use cooking the snags on the barby it rates 130 oct

butane is a lot lower car gar is a mix of the 2

cheater