'81 Scorpion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

New engine's in. Looks exactly the same lol
Bought a deepdish 330mm Momo tiller a few weeks ago, and just paid for a Sigma GSR rear spoiler.
Speaking of which, I need a boss kit. Anyone have one they feel like selling me?
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Bosskit bought. HKB p/no OM10, corresponds to A183-187 Starion. See, knew they were good for something :P
Looks liek dis:
Steering wheel's attached. Looks cool, I'm going back out to the car later today so I'll grab a couple pics then.
Also, I bought a pair of 14x7 +0 brake boilers for the front. One of them needs a ding knocked out but meh, I have a mallet and a block of wood for that.
They look like this:
Le dinged wheel:
Attached to a TE72:
Spoiler should be here soon, it's been 5 days :x[/img]
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

Look nice on that car!

87 Starion EX
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Ahh the brake cookers. Should have got the t-18 with the wheels and used it as a paddock bomb. They are good for that...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

I quite like them. They're not a bad little car, and there's far, far better parts availability than there is for the RWD Mitsu brigade due to it sharing a chassis with the xE7x/AE86. A mate of mine has one, runs a 7AGTE with an S15 T28BB on 11psi (makes around 160rwkw), AE86 coilovers and brakes front and rear, TRD 2-way, cage, stripped out interior etc. It only weighs something like 850kg.
I've seen it outrun an Evo through the hills.

Anyway, off Corollas. Got a couple things done in the hour I had out with the car before it got dark. Well, one thing. Pinched the tyres off the pair of Hotwires I had on the back and chucked them on the cookers. Also grabbed a few pics.
Steering wheel in situ
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Latest batch of photos
This is what happens when you forget to do a sprocket up *facepalm*
Rims on
Engine work stage, this is about two hours after it came out of the car:
Dirteh plugs
Little baws domo for my keys :P
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Just out of curiosity, what could I expect to pay for a rough Starion for parts? Hypothetically.
I'd be looking for something mechanically complete and with a usable grey interior, everything else wouldn't really matter as I'd be stripping it anyway.
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

This now has a 4G52 with a 34ADM, narrow KM132 (obviously), HD clutch and 4.6:1 diff gears. 4G54 shat itself again, so the 2L's in there so I can drive the car while I rebuild the 2.6 again.

Story goes, balance shaft bearing shat itself in the 2.6, seized a balance shaft, snapped the drive chain, oil pump stopped working, then the ignition switch decided to be a prick and it ran yet another big end before I could fumble about for the killswitch to shut it down.
The ignition's been a bit dodgy for a couple weeks, but I haven't been able to find one to replace it so I've just been using a killswitch to turn the car off until I can find another ignition switch. Starts fine on the key, it just doesn't like turning off.
gj2600.wordpress.com
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

If a 4g63 seizes a balance shaft, it'll snap the belt and you mightn't even notice it, except for a bit of extra vibration.

And that ignition barrel would be a pain in the ain.

Dude, get a Starion... :beer
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Soon, maybe :beer
I'm actually looking at E30's for my next car. A couple of my friends own them (318iS, 323i coupe), they're a fun little car with a decent shock/spring combo and decent tyres.
All a bit of a moot point anyway, I'm waiting until I'm debt-free before I go buying another car.
gj2600.wordpress.com
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ahhhhh, thats the HKB part number. We dont list them at work anymore, I'll have to go on the scrounge for an old stock item :)

So love a sapporo, had a black one a few years back, was a good car.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Car has 3/4 of a front end, replacing the front guards as they're both fairly well stuffed. They're not rusty, but they're far from straight.
The replacements are actually the guards from my GE, they're white and the indicators are in a different spot, but they're straight.
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Got the front end done. The photo's are from something other than my phone for once, I borrowed my sister's 1100D :P

Took a few other photo's while I was at it.

That's a 14x7 +0 on the rear, plenty of room :P
gj2600.wordpress.com
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

To Do list:
Done:
-2L is in, runs good. Has a Jap head, carb, intake and exhaust manifold/Z-pipe on it, don't know if they're actually any better or not but they were in better shape. Also has a stage 2 cam, no balance shafts and a fully balanced shortblock with new rings+bearings. Using the narrow KM132 from my GE, with a HD clutch from a petrol L200 (?).
-4.6 rear is also in. Bakes the inside rear in 2nd on tar if I give it a hiding
-Has a dodgy exhaust that I made myself from a couple old stock systems and some steampipe with a stick welder for a laugh.
-Dodgy CAI made from a TP Magna airbox with a gutted AFM and the end cut off, a carby hat from an L300 van and a Magna intake pipe. Intake pipe had a few splits, so it's completely wrapped in 100mph tape. Induction noise combined with dodgy exhaust makes it sound like a D16 Civic with a $10 pod.
-Now has a proper non-PS GJ-GL steering column, instead of the bastardised GJ PS/GH non-PS hybrid it had before.
-Bled the brakes, wore the surface rust off the rotors with a few hard stops. Could use slotted rotors and/or Starion brakes, as they fade a bit after five or six.
-Now has most of a GE-GH front end, as the original panels were far from straight. Still has the GJ grille and bumper but the guards and beaver panel are GE-GH. The bonnet is too, but they stayed the same from GE-GL so not really worth mentioning. The car is now blue, faded blue, white and weatherbeaten silver.
-Replaced every rubber bush in the car with either NOS rubber ones or polyurethane, did the balljoints while I was at it. Actually drives like a car now, instead of a sailing ship into a headwind. Also replaced the strut tops with NOS ones I found, still in the boxes/plastic wrapping, at the local tip.

Still to do:
-Shocks are munted. Require new ones. Will likely shorten the struts 40mm and run R31 shocks/R31 Pedders lowered springs up front, and TP Magna S/W shocks with lowered GE-GH Lovells springs rear. Will trim springs/add spring rubbers as required to keep it level.
-It peg-legs like a champ. I can either spend up and import an 80's vintage 1.5-way Ralliart LSD, most likely requiring rebuild, meant for a boxtype EX Lancer, spend up bigger and do an R31 Silo diff swap, or weld the diff. Or, I could be boring/gay and leave it.
-NO REAR SWAYBAR. These must have been a bit oversteery with one, because it's not there from factory.
-Put the stock exhaust back on. The current one's embarrassing, it sounds like a Honda. Reasonably quiet at idle and just putting about, but sounds like the wet fart from hell at WOT.
-Balloon tyres. Currently has 185/65R14 Goodyear and Sime shopping-spec shitters, would like 185/55R14 Hero HZ-1 (same tyre as Federal 595SS, just cheaper. Because not brand tax).
-No rego. This will come once everything's done, and I'm not broke.
-Rear wheels. Likely end up with a pair of 14x8 -10 Hurricanes.
-Extractors and a 2 1/4in exhaust.

And the future plans:
-SOHC MPI 4G63T
-Maybe a replacement 4G64 long motor, if I ever cbf building one.
-Front coilovers (R31 inserts, HSD sleeve kit, 9kg springs)
-Proper rear suspension (TE Magna wagon Koni's, custom wound 7kg 230mm springs)
-LSD diff swap.
-Wheels. Would like 14x8 front/14x9 rear MkIII's or Wata's, although I'll probably end up buying a set of those Sakura copies.
gj2600.wordpress.com
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

good stuff mate, what 2l is in this? and your plans seem decent to mate.. is the mpi 4g63t one of the first on the list of things to do? and what LSD diff you looking into fit?
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...