TC06 and TC06-11 ??? pics

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rodney007
I love starions

TC06 and TC06-11 ??? pics

Post by rodney007 »

I just bought a rebuilt TC06 turbo

When i got it i noticed it actually said TC06-11A

My old TC06 has no water lines, but this TC06-11A does...

I mounted the new TC06-11A on the manifold and fitted on nicely.
The oil feed was sitting on the bottom and the return up top so I rotated the center of the turbo 180 degrees.

Now. the weird part, the only way I can get the waste-gate rod to link up with the flap" correctly, means that the intake outlet is hard up against the exhaust manifold

I am seriously WTF'ing myself right now. very fustrating.

here's a few pics of it with what seems to be the only combination of the waste-gate arm lining up correctly with the gate flap , other combination's only let it mount on angles and doesn't seat correctly on the flap

djalpha
I like starions

Post by djalpha »

May be off a cordia.
DJALPHA
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

The seller stated it was from a starion. If i can slightly bend the actuator arm I can rotate the intake to work. touch wood
spinners
I like starions

Post by spinners »

try using your old tc06 compressor cover on the new turbo,Does your dump pipe fit the new turbo?If it doesnt then its off a fwd turbo,(sigma,cordia)or swap both exhaust housing and compressor cover from the old one to the new one.
**83 MITSUBISHI STARION DASH EX **
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

the compressors are different size, slightly smaller....

the intake housing from my old one is too large as the new propellor is slightly smaller...

also the exhaust is same pattern but different angle.

update""

I managed to locate it correctly.

I just new a new manifold gasket to turbo then a new dump pipe made.

no major ... hopefuly. thanks for your comments, and yes i think also its from cordia
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yep that's definitely a FWD Sigma GSR or Cordia GSR TC06 turbo. I'm running the same turbo on mine, I just drilled out the locating pin on the compressor housing and grinded off the outlet pipe locking bolt threaded section to slip a hose over it. I too just made up another downpipe to suit.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

dirtygalant wrote:yep that's definitely a FWD Sigma GSR or Cordia GSR TC06 turbo. I'm running the same turbo on mine, I just drilled out the locating pin on the compressor housing and grinded off the outlet pipe locking bolt threaded section to slip a hose over it. I too just made up another downpipe to suit.
ahhh.... first pic it was just resting in place, but later when trying to put on the circlip I noticed it had a locator there. anyway its located in position now and just "jimmied" up the actuator to suit. cut off bolt hole too :-)

holds 7psi nicely. spools almost twice as fast and has better power everywhere.

just need new dump pipe and shes all done. :wink: :) :) :)

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Very nice - I mounted mine this way:

ImageImage
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

Hows does it run?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

goes well - alot better than the TC05 it replaced. A little bit laggy and full boost comes in around 3000rpm and happily would keep going over 6000rpm. I have been running it non-water cooled and it has often seen boost around 16-20psi but unfortunately the few track days have taken its toll and it is a little smokey under vacuum. It ideally needs to be replaced with a TD05-16G.
ImageImage
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

well it replaced my TC06 which had slightly larger compressors ??

Although the propeller for the exhaust on the TC06 didn't fit snug when looking from the rear inwards, there seemed to be around 8mm gap around the edge of the blades and the housing?, duno if it chewed its self out or was wrong housings or what.

This TC06-11 though fits snug round there and definitely runs a lot better :-).

Do you think the water cooling is better than not? I was planning to hook it up later on from where it usually goes into the fire wall. Its bypassed that now and just loops over so would easy to steal water from there.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

uhmm.. I'm thinking if there was an 8mm gap around the turbine blades and housing, it was a TC05 exhaust wheel with a TC06 housing - I'm surprised it would even have spooled enough to build up boost! You perhaps could have used your existing RWD TC06 exhaust housing on that Cordia turbo to avoid making up another downpipe, unfortunately I didn't have access to a RWD TC06 exhaust housing so just made up the downpipe to suit.
ImageImage
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

yeah sounds about right. I didn't have one either.

well here it is all finished up, Im still buzzing over how much quicker it starts boosting :-)...my bov even sounds different :-)

compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

i think your clutch master is leaking :D
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

damn you and your trained eyes!! :glare:

care to explain to the clueless ones on here (i.e. myself) how you can tell that the clutch master is leaking from those pictures (please)?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol