Starion 1987 EX

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

Dyno Vid
Last edited by perrinsohc on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Mate i'm not trying to put you down just trying to get my head around the result .If as you say the motor is bone stock along with the turbo, injection ,computer and exhaust system then the car must have has mods of some sort( that you don't know about ) to give that amount of power .Otherwise the dyno is extremely optimistic or the opperator is fudgeing the result .That sort of thing has been known to happen
Dave what do you think :?
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

OLD FART wrote:seems like a high reading dyno as the Starions were rated at 125kw at the flywheel so to get 122 at the wheels doesn't sound quite right
My JB was unmolested when I first got it and it dynoed 125 hp atw and the dyno owner who raced a Starion said that was about right for a stock Staz
You're assuming that Aus spec Starions account for all of the model Starions made. His particular model is a late model Euro Spec 'EX' which has higher compression pistons, TC06 + intercooler and was meant to run on leaded fuel.

Euro spec is 132kW and 280Nm.

*edit* while the above spec sheet is for the Euro delivered models which do have the same 7.6:1 CR as the Jap/Aus spec models I am fairly sure the post 85 NZ delivered 'Euro spec' clones had a higher CR and therefore possibly higher than 132kW.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Thanks for that info. Does help clear things up quite a bit. Do you have those factsheets in a higher resolution by anychance?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Appoligies to Perrinsohc & thanks to DG for shedding some light on the matter . I should have checked my Starion bible and realised that you may well have had one of the higher spec Euro cars.
Do I get a gold medal for jumping to conclusions :oops: :oops:
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

OLD FART wrote:Appoligies to Perrinsohc & thanks to DG for shedding some light on the matter . I should have checked my Starion bible and realised that you may well have had one of the higher spec Euro cars.
Do I get a gold medal for jumping to conclusions :oops: :oops:
Not a problem at all haha I was suprised at the reading too. After reading many posts from austarion I was expecting around the 100kw region from what i saw from the j seriers cars. I had a feeling euro spec cars were slightly different but now thats confirmed. Thanks also DirtyGalant :beer
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

post removed cos i've made a fool of myself :D
Last edited by thrash on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

thrash wrote:j-series aus cars have 7.5:1 (i think?) compression and no intercooler, other than jd.. higher compression and an inctercooler on yours = 22rwkw then? Perhaps your exhaust isn't stock and you haven't noticed? even just a slightly different muffler can make a difference of a couple of kw :)
I have stated on previous page that It has a modified exhaust tip. A straight through Trust exhaust (there are pics of it too) Hense the 3- 4 psi increase. Rest of exhaust is factory. This can be seen from pages 1-5 in various pictures. This is the only modification on the whole car apart from an engine rebuild at 300,000km with the usual new parts like rings, bearings, gaskets and pumps. Im pleased with the result and definately have to thanks the previous owner who did the rebuild himself at his workshop (he is an engine mechanic ) :wink:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ahh yeah, sorry, it was a while back that i read the previous pages. above post editted :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

thrash wrote:ahh yeah, sorry, it was a while back that i read the previous pages. above post editted :)
lol no worries I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the input tho, its wat its all about :)

87 Starion EX
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

That's doing really well for a standard setup. I didn't realise it was in Kw. Must be that rebuild from the previous owner keeping it in shape.
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

That was my theory too. At least now I can concentrate on other areas of the car than the engine for now
Last edited by perrinsohc on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

87 Starion EX
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

perrinsohc who did the dyno tune?

Looking good by the way. Nice to see another starion with an owner that is looking after his ride. :beer
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

JAS wrote:perrinsohc who did the dyno tune?

Looking good by the way. Nice to see another starion with an owner that is looking after his ride. :beer
Thanks Jas, its coming along slowly but surely haha

Jon at Spec Performance did the dyno. To be exact it was a dyno 'run' not a tune, just had two power runs. It was a day organised by msport.co.nz and there was about 24 of us that day. One after another after 2 run. Still I think I was a a/f reading and it was apparently running slightly rich up at full boost, which i suppose is better than lean.

87 Starion EX
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

perrinsohc wrote:
JAS wrote:perrinsohc who did the dyno tune?

Thanks Jas, its coming along slowly but surely haha

Jon at Spec Performance did the dyno. To be exact it was a dyno 'run' not a tune, just had two power runs. It was a day organised by msport.co.nz and there was about 24 of us that day. One after another after 2 run. Still I think I was a a/f reading and it was apparently running slightly rich up at full boost, which i suppose is better than lean.
I see there is another dyno day on Saturday 4th September. Might have to go along and have a perv.
Have they got a hub dyno?
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage