boost problem

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
ja boy
I like starions more

boost problem

Post by ja boy »

i have a problem now. drove to the servo to get some fuel. 98 octane. i pulled out of the driveway and the turbo isnt not boosting at all. i can hear like a winning noise or like something is loose from the engine. it doesnt even build up pressure to set the blow off valve off.
note i just finished doing a head gasket vrs kit and put a full timing belt kit in it.
it was boosting fine until i got to the servo but i could hear the wining noise but not as much as i can hear it now.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: boost problem

Post by OLD FART »

ja boy wrote:i have a problem now. drove to the servo to get some fuel. 98 octane. i pulled out of the driveway and the turbo isnt not boosting at all. i can hear like a winning noise or like something is loose from the engine. it doesnt even build up pressure to set the blow off valve off.
note i just finished doing a head gasket vrs kit and put a full timing belt kit in it.
it was boosting fine until i got to the servo but i could hear the wining noise but not as much as i can hear it now.
Hate to say it but it sounds like the comp wheel is hitting the cover so take off the inlet pipe and check the freeplay in the shaft
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ja boy
I like starions more

Post by ja boy »

i let the car cool down and i took it for a drive just then. it drove like normal . boosted good . then i pulled over turned the car off and let it sit for about 2 minutes then turned it on again then again no boost. this is weird. if it was the turbo blown wouldnt it do it constantly?
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

ja boy wrote:i let the car cool down and i took it for a drive just then. it drove like normal . boosted good . then i pulled over turned the car off and let it sit for about 2 minutes then turned it on again then again no boost. this is weird. if it was the turbo blown wouldnt it do it constantly?
that sounds very weird - no electrical problem should cause the turbo to not work...
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

my old one did this a while back.. i was pretty sure the turbo was completely rooted.. it wouldn't rev past 3.5k.. and then after about a week of no boost, it suddenly started working fine again :o

in any case, if it's not boosting, perhaps the wastegate is jammed open?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so it's only happening when the car is started while hot.. hmm, yeah, that does actually sound like an electrical fault.. but as ixnay said, it shouldn't stop the turbo from spinning..

yeah, i say wastegate or actuator..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

when the cars hot have it running pull the inlet pipe to the turbo off and rev the engine with the throttle cable and have a look and see if u can see the turbo spinning just dont get to close to it :)
ja boy
I like starions more

Post by ja boy »

if it is the wastegate or actuator why would it only stop working after i switch the car off and then start it again after a couple of minutes after the car is warmed up. when i start it after i switch it off when its warm its like it has a miss and wont rev quickly. kind of like a fuel problem. could it be a fuel problem maybe?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ahh new info..

i dunno dude, just suggesting it's something to check i suppose.
quest wrote:
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

change the fusable links, does wonders , take off your wastegate vaccume line for a while and see if it keeps doing it, that will keep it closed, just dont thrash it as it will over boost,
Astron Boy
I like starions

Post by Astron Boy »

I also say wastegate actuator.
I had a sticky actuator that did the same thing, it all came down to the actuator resetting which required the engine to get cold (metal expansion I suppose :? )
1995 Mercedes C180 Elegance, AMG Pack.
1989 Magna Wagon Turbo.
1997 FTO GPX.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

Astron Boy wrote:I also say wastegate actuator.
I had a sticky actuator that did the same thing, it all came down to the actuator resetting which required the engine to get cold (metal expansion I suppose :? )
i couldn't imagine it being turned off for a few minutes then back on that it would expand/contract that quick?
ja boy
I like starions more

Post by ja boy »

when it plays up i can hear noises when it revs about 3500 coming from turbo at idle . could it be a bearing.
also when i done the head gasket i disconnected the battery. would that affect the computer . cause its a adaptronic
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

sounds like a loose intercooler pipe clamp to me
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
ja boy
I like starions more

Post by ja boy »

no intercooler