The pros and cons of the EVOs?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

The black 6.5 TME would be the perfect choice to keep my grandpa JB company in my shed :D
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Absolutely Shit hot ! I even like the colour.

See there is just something about a centre console that doesnt join the dash. You could be in a Hyundai Getz.

IMHO a much nicer place to be.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

Yes thats true Vulpes but that doesnt put me off them.
( and iv never been in a getz goes like a evo LOL)

EVO6

i dont know if its the crap picture but the interior in this car look like my sisters lancer with a momo steering wheel(not to flash).
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Re: The pros and cons of the EVOs?

Post by kiwi_EX »

MR Bender wrote:Well the EVOs have been around for years.
strong ,good allrounder sports car.

now whats the pros and cons of the evos?
and which is the best out of the 10?
Interesting I've never actually thought of the EVO as a "sports" car, to me it just doesn't quite fit that category, always though of it as a hotted up family/shopping box. (Same with a WRX, just doesn't fit the "sports" car mold).

Great mechnicals, just body doesn't do it for me. :puke
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute
4gpwr
I love starions

Evos

Post by 4gpwr »

Something about evos to think about , basically gearbox and transfer case issues , and how much they cost to fix , if you baby them drive normally , is one thing , but start abusing them they cost a fair bit to reco . And doing it twice in one year , like one of my mates .
SST might cost about $9000. to replace , but taking the clutch pedal away is a very good thing in reliability , it gives my wife peace of mind when I borrow her car that I wont bust her gearbox by dropping the clutch , I don't hurt it by stalling it up and launching it . That was her major concern in buying a new or a s/h awd lancer
4Gs Rule
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Having driven a couple of stock evo's and gtr's, also modded evo's and gtr's. I found the AYC etc took the fun out of the car, less chuckable in the dry. They just stick like glue, where as the gtr makes you work for it.

But also, I think rwd is just more fun completely!
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

weak boxes is a trait of the later cars, the early ones are near indestructible (as long as you dont run the transfer out of oil)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I loved my old Evo 1. They have a few issues like the roof rust and the clutch pedal breaking where it joins on to the firewall (the mechanic that fixed it said that he's fixed quite a few)
Even taking it out to the drags and doing 6k launches all day didn't bother it...
I really miss that car!
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
87_starion
Big Dorifto

Post by 87_starion »

Im not sure how you could call that Starion interior 'a nice place to be'
That color is horrible.

EVO's rock, point and shoot supercar slayers!!

6.5 and EVO II RS are generally regarded as the kings.
96 R33 GTS25t - 4 Sale
02 Impreza
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

87_starion wrote:Im not sure how you could call that Starion interior 'a nice place to be'
That color is horrible..
Some men love women that are short,tall,skinny,fat,redhead,blonde or brunette with cupcake brests, nice firm brests and even humungus boobs and any combination of the above BUT like it or hate it you would have to agree that Darryl has done a great job in restoreing the interior of his Staz to showroom or better condition

PS oh and I nearly forgot to mention that some men who live on a pair of islands are said to love sheep :) LOL
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

87_starion wrote:Im not sure how you could call that Starion interior 'a nice place to be'
That color is horrible.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, likes and dislikes. I just find Tan leather and a bit of a contrast with black leather really nice. I agree the brown is not the best but I would still take a bit of contrast and colour over a plain, plastic, taxi interior any day. Cheers.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

OLD FART wrote:
That color is horrible..
Some men love women that are short,tall,skinny,fat,redhead,blonde or brunette with cupcake brests, nice firm brests and even humungus boobs and any combination of the above BUT like it or hate it you would have to agree that Darryl has done a great job in restoreing the interior of his Staz to showroom or better condition

PS oh and I nearly forgot to mention that some men who live on a pair of islands are said to love sheep :) LOL
Hey Rad, are you calling my wife fat and short :x :x rofl rofl
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

[quote="Vulpes"

Hey Rad, are you calling my wife fat and short :x :x rofl rofl[/quote]

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting your lady But i'm sure that you being a man that likes foxes would have a foxy lady to rock your boat :D :wink:
Last edited by OLD FART on Tue May 18, 2010 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

A RS Evo is the king of nothing imo. Same interior spec as a diesel model or delivery van.

I had a 1 GSR, same problem as FSTFRD it broke the firewall but otherwise a fine car, problems were redline in fifth gear was 180km/h cutout so cruising at 140 was not nice, and the fuel tank was too small for long distance use. And since your always busy changing gears the reality is they are not that fast in real life, unless your a red light drag racer.

I've driven later ones but they don't appeal, but have never driven 7 or newer. The last of each model the 3, 6.5 and 9 should be the best. (obviously)
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I have had a 3 and now own a 9 - they do compare but honestly the longer I have the 9 the better it is than the 3 as an allround performance car. If I just wanted a track car then the 3 could be built to be the quicker as it is considerably lighter. The 9 drives and steers better for my liking. I think technology masks a few difficulties when it comes to weight - bigger brakes, more hp and better suspension.