HELP!

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

HELP!

Post by siggy_gsr »

okay so here is my problem..... im just finishing off my gk sigma. Its got a 6 bolt narrow block galant vr4 4g63 engine in it. Im running a borg warner bell housing (sandwich plate then mounted to W58.. not important) note im running the backing/cover plate off an evo 1-3 which lined up perfectly in regards to dowel locaters, starter motor holes and engine to bell housing bolts. Im running a narrow block flywheel ie off a galant gsr (6 bolt 4g63 fwd). Okay so here is the problem i just got a starter motor for it... its listed to suit 4g63, i bolted it up and........ you can just here the starter turning. Un bolted it tested it on the bench.. all good the gear comes forwards all the way and spins no dramas. I then had the box out cause its getting rebuilt and lined up the starter on the flywheel and from what i can see, it comes out far enough but is about 6mm to far away from the ring gear!!! so yeah obviously not gonna work..... have been told there is a difference between auto and manual starter but have worked out they only differ in regards to how far the gear actually comes out and not the actual placement of it. So yeah got no fu#@ing idea what to do now.... really wanna get my car on the road... Definitely not a wideblock engine, had a wide block flywheel doesn't even fit in the bell housing..... please some one shed some info on whats going on.........
Cheers Alex
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

how thick is the sandwich plate?
when i ran a stock starion box behind my twincam i could only use 8mm thick plate or otherwise the starter wouldnt reach.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Any reason not to use the sigma 2L flywheel and starter? They are guaranteed to match the bellhousing then.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Umm the adapter sits between the bellhousing and the gearbox, it's the crs one... Can't really see how it would effect it, umm ididnt use 2l sigma stuff just because I had a wide block g62b in it before so couldn't work... Really got no idea how it can possibly not line up...
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Clarify what you mean about 6mm away from ring gear - diameter or offset of flywheel?

It may be down to the diameter of the ring gear. I haven't looked at narrow 4G6x stuff, but from what you have seen it appears to be a different diameter to sigma.
The b/w bellhousing has worked for 30 years with a 4G52 flywheel and starter. Maybe get your hands on a sigma f/w and measure diameter and/or # of teeth & compare to what you are using now.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

yeah mate offset off the flywheel, as if the flywheel is too small...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

flywheel MUST match the bellhousing. anthony won the thread on post 4 :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: HELP!

Post by cheaterparts »

siggy_gsr wrote:okay so here is my problem..... im just finishing off my gk sigma. Its got a 6 bolt narrow block galant vr4 4g63 engine in it. Im running a borg warner bell housing (sandwich plate then mounted to W58.. not important) note im running the backing/cover plate off an evo 1-3 which lined up perfectly in regards to dowel locaters, starter motor holes and engine to bell housing bolts. Im running a narrow block flywheel ie off a galant gsr (6 bolt 4g63 fwd). Okay so here is the problem i just got a starter motor for it... its listed to suit 4g63, i bolted it up and........ you can just here the starter turning. Un bolted it tested it on the bench.. all good the gear comes forwards all the way and spins no dramas. I then had the box out cause its getting rebuilt and lined up the starter on the flywheel and from what i can see, it comes out far enough but is about 6mm to far away from the ring gear!!! so yeah obviously not gonna work..... have been told there is a difference between auto and manual starter but have worked out they only differ in regards to how far the gear actually comes out and not the actual placement of it. So yeah got no fu#@ing idea what to do now.... really wanna get my car on the road... Definitely not a wideblock engine, had a wide block flywheel doesn't even fit in the bell housing..... please some one shed some info on whats going on.........
Cheers Alex
Alex

are you running the FWD ring gear they are 106 teeth
where as a sigma or rwd small flywheel use 110 teeth
by the way both 106 and 110 have the same ID

just a thought

cheater
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Re: HELP!

Post by MrBishi »

cheaterparts wrote: by the way both 106 and 110 have the same ID
So just need to change ring gear? simple fix
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Yeah using a fwd ring gear too, found a guy with a complete 2l sigma flywheel so that SHOULD get me out of trouble... Just interesting both the 2l sigma and 4g63 starters have the same part number guessing just more teeth as s result of larger OD not the size of the teeth on the ring so in theory the 4g63 starter I bought should still work aiy?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes the 2L sigma flywheel WILL fix it, and yes the starter WILL work :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

all fixed :) got a narrow block rwd flyweel.. all good thanks for your help people