JAS's Rebuild and twincam conversion. 302kw atw baby!!!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

320 is a gd start haha :) im gonna get my manifold done next leave by a guy up here who does primo work. Pics look mint from the show :)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

what, in terms of the design of the manifold, would you think is causing the restriction?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by greenstaz82 »

320 isnt bad , mine made around that power with a very simliar biuld to urs and around the same boost , a set of cams should make 400 , im in the process of doing this now .
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

congratulations on THE best narrow body in the world - and I don't think many would argue that point. Also the black widey is a favourite of mine - wonder why! You must be very proud of not only preserving a classic but promoting the Starion in a very high quality build. Well done!!
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

groupAralliart wrote:congratulations on THE best narrow body in the world
Defs the best flatty in the world!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Lunacy wrote:320 is a gd start haha :) im gonna get my manifold done next leave by a guy up here who does primo work. Pics look mint from the show :)
The guy at NZEFI said he could make a real nice one for around $1150. Which isnt bad I thought.
thrash wrote:what, in terms of the design of the manifold, would you think is causing the restriction?
Where the runners merge together. The runners for cylinders 2 and 3 have to go up from underneeth and disturb the flow of runners 1 and 4. Rather that the 4 runners all merging nicely.
greenstaz82 wrote:320 isnt bad , mine made around that power with a very simliar biuld to urs and around the same boost , a set of cams should make 400 , im in the process of doing this now .
The tuner thought it should have made 400 as it is at 20 psi. Even with the standard cams etc. What turbo are you running to get that power?
iXNAY wrote:
groupAralliart wrote:congratulations on THE best narrow body in the world
Defs the best flatty in the world!
groupAralliart wrote:congratulations on THE best narrow body in the world - and I don't think many would argue that point. Also the black widey is a favourite of mine - wonder why! You must be very proud of not only preserving a classic but promoting the Starion in a very high quality build. Well done!!
Thanks guys!!!!!!
And yes I do feel lucky to have a nice modified starion and a nice rare factory starion :) I love opening my garage door and seeing them sitting there :D

Has anyone got any pics of nice Exhaust Manifold designs I can use to make a replacement or just for ideas? Please post some pics.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Gonzo's here in QLD make a nice RWD twincam exh manifold. They have the jigs to make on demand. Speak to StarionVR4 to get a price and maybe some pics.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Jase, the guy who has done my welding on my inlet manifold is going to do my exhaust manif for about $700. Ive seen his work, and his manifolds look magic and flow beautifully according to a few people ive spoken to who use them. Thick wall steampipe.
Im sure if you sent your one up it would probably be even cheaper as the positioning is all done so a jig would be simple to make for him.
Flick me a txt if your interested mite even get a discount if we get him to do both of ours together (albeit with different flanges :)
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Thanks bryce. Might take you up on that. When you looking at getting it done? Im not in much of a hurry.

Well things sort of anticlimaxed today. They tried winding up the boost and the clutch started to slip!!
Turns out the guy I got the clutch off has a reputation for not setting up the pressure plates properly. Im in Christchurch and the clutch guy that NZEFI use in Auckland had heard of there bad rep!! Not a big deal though. Just got to get the clutch out and have the pressure plate fixed.

The other issue with the car is the fact that full boost isn't coming on until 5500rpm. The tuner thinks it could be the poor design of the Ex manifold and maybe the old HKS waste gate Im using is not closing properly.

Oh and the oil feed to the turbo leaks when I rev the motor out. Its fine if you keep the revs under 4000 but I'm guessing when its rev'ed higher the oil pressure increases and it leaks. I didn't give it to much of a hard time and I had smoke coming out from around the bonnet!!! Gave me a bit of a fright as I was sitting at the lights!!! But burned off in about 10 min and was fine until I gave it another squirt and same thing happened.

But I must say the thing is sooooo much fun to drive now!!!!! Even with the boost coming on late, and being a good 60hp down on what it should be Im stoked :D :D :D :D :D
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Lookin at gettin it done next payday so bout a month or so. Bet ya still had a grin a mile wide driving it even with the lil teething probs :D
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Yeah man!! It goes great. And the sound is fantastic!!!
Loving it.
Let me know if you have some spare time next time your down, Ill take you for a run.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

The collektor (spelling?) would probably be better looking something like this:

And, try to get the pipes as straight and long as possible into the flange...
(Yes I'm aware of the none existing space! LOL )

Did you measure the ex.mani-pressure while tuning?
320 is good but I belive it will make a lot more later.... :D

And...
I just simply love the gold one! :beer
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

fugazi wrote:The collektor (spelling?) would probably be better looking something like this:

And, try to get the pipes as straight and long as possible into the flange...
(Yes I'm aware of the none existing space! LOL )

Did you measure the ex.mani-pressure while tuning?
320 is good but I belive it will make a lot more later.... :D

And...
I just simply love the gold one! :beer
Yes the colector would be heaps better like that!
Although Im not sure Id like a manifold with runners that long. They would loose lots of heat and there for exhaust gas energy and raise under bonnet temps. Ive seen EVOs make far more power than my starion (twice as much) with a short runner length.

I might have a crack at making one myself.... Even if I get someone to TIG it up for me. As I dont think my MIG skills would be up to the job long term.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I'd have a bash at tigging it up for you.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Does Repco have an engineering department?? :o
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage