boot mounted battery

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

boot mounted battery

Post by iXNAY »

hey guys,

who has mounted there battery in the boot?

whats the best location/setup for this?

regards
Ryan
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Good timing. I'm about to go through this as well.

Due to the boot section of the Starion being part of the cabin, I believe you should be running a sealed battery box. Eg JAZ or Moroso or ACE.
They have a tube that vent the gasses to atmosphere.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Relocati ... ticle.html

also this one... article 1/2 way down.
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Response ... ticle.html

I'd like to see some photos of it done in a Staz.
1985 JB Starion #157
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

Ryan I just did it on my early Lancer .
I put it in the rear hatch area on the left and mounted the metal battery case inside the box first.I bolted these to the floorpan.It might be a bit harder with a Starion with the spare wheel location.
To wire it I purchased a powerful amp wiring kit from Autobarn (i.e. in the car audio section) that a included thick blue(-ve) and red cables (+ve)and a 100A fuse.(and other stuff you can't use).It was the most cost effective choice.
I have also bought a cut off switch and mounted it on the battery box itself.(useful).
I earthed 1.the area under the box, 2. the starter motor bolt.
The red wire I ran to the starter motor and then from there out.
Run the cable inside the cabin.No probs so far.
Hope this helps !
Starion-an 80's Classic car
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

yeah i was planning to do pretty much the same thing :) i got some free cable from work so all i have to do is buy the battery mounting box and run the cable to the front.

would something like this do for the mounting box in the boot?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12-VOLT-BATTERY- ... 518ff2374e
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

The concept of the above battery box is great, but I'm concerned with having exposed live terminals in your boot area. A possible fire risk should something metallic land on the live terminal, & shorting it out whilst travelling, not to mention what damage could be done to ECU's etc. from the power spike.
I believe there are better battery boxes (for the same price) for a boot application.

panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

and man up and buy a powermaster or similar sealed battery instead of a lead acid sucker that will corrode everything around it..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

redzone wrote:and man up and buy a powermaster or similar sealed battery instead of a lead acid sucker that will corrode everything around it..
Agreed...

I've got an Odyssey PC925 in my Starion, best thing I ever bought for it, very low rate of discharge, can start the car no issues after three months of no use. No battery box required either for in car mounting (i'm currently putting one in the boot of my Cordia).
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

i was going to buy a good full sealed battery so if you do you dont need to worry about a battery box :)
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

1985 JB Starion #157
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

powermaster are better quality than optima or odyssey, those words came from the odyssey/powermaster dealer! they're cheaper too..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

are you sure the dealer doesn't make a much larger margin on the powermasters? :P
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Both my Odyssey's have been great. Will buy again.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp? ... GrpID=4305

I have been told that CA (Cranking Amps) and CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) are different and not to compare batteries when reading CA vs CCA)
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

the XS is listed as an AGM battery.. are the odyssey and powermaster also AGM? Or are they a different type of sealed battery?

Some AGM batteries have issues with crystalization if left unused for over a month after being used constantly for a while..

I have used a brand called X-CELL, and they are about a hundred bucks cheaper than the equivalent odyssey, and they run fantastic.. until you leave the car disconnected for about a month :x which can be a common thing for a staz :P Although I had unhooked mine because I went overseas, not because it broke down lol. So this one would no longer work after being left on the shelf for a month, and when i took it back for a warranty replacement, the guy wouldn't honour the warranty, as he said it showed signs of crystalization from being left for a month. Something he failed to mention as condition when I bought it.. According to him, I have to leave it on trickle charge if it's not going to be used for over 2 weeks.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

Both Odyssey and Optima's are AGM's.

I leave my Starion for months on end with no trickle charge and it always starts first time, Odyssey advise a shelf life of 2 years without charging. The only thing that will void an Odyssey warrenty is Overcharging and trickle currents draining the battery that cause it to be left perminantly flat (and removing the sticker on top of te battery).

CA is always higher than CCA, as CA is taken at O deg C, while CCA is taken at minus 17 deg C.

Powermaster batteries are re-labeled batteries of other manufacturers (e.g. Powermaster S925 is an Odyssey PC925).

Are you sure the X-Cell model you had was an AGM and not a Gel? Both sealed but very different construction. Gel's are made to be left on charge as they are a storage battery, not for starting duties.

My Odyssey is great and will definately buy again, in fact already have!!

I've also got an Exide Orbital in my ute (same spiral wound construction as the Optima) and definately not as good as the Odyssey, it's physically bigger than the Odyssey but cranks the motor over slower and definately doesn't sit as long without going flat (I've put it in the Starion). Will replace the Orbital with an Odyssey when it dies.
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute