Making the most power out of my Starion i can. Need guidance

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

Been pretty busy trying to get car wof'ed but just quickly i would have done up EX if it made any sense like that person suggested but the EX is a wreck of a car [ on the out ] and its been sitting for 9 years and deregd so definatley NOT worth my while .

Getting back to the turbo . lol

Yup i luckily found a good mechanic who knows his Starions and he got his little ear piece out and listened all over the show and he id 99% sure its the turb which for me is great news considering Ive got that Tc06 sitting there.

I want to know HOW exactly i go about getting the big 16g as i think form previous posts and a bit of study comparing the tc05 and 6 that everyone pretty much agrees its a better turbo WITHOUT being TOO big and causing too much lag .

Im also wanting to know HOW exactly and what instructions i give to making the manifold hole bigger where its meets the turbo ...is that the right place? Do you make the exhaust outlet bigger too and is it just a matter of taking down to shop to do a quick grind to make bigger?

Sorry if these sound like sily questions

Cheers people
Umbrella girls rock. That is all
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

is a cats eye exhaust the same as fitting a screamer?
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

wtf is a cat's eye exhaust?? google doesn't come up with anything? :shock: that's a first...
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

thrash wrote:so then screamer pipes are the exhaust equivalent of unboxed pod filters eh?
Only you guys in aus have to box them, pod filters are perfectly legal over here in NZ. Screamer pipes on the other hand just scream look at me i have a small c@#k!!! I hate them with a passion, as all people use them for is attention. :x
Tam, regarding fitting the 16g, its a matter of enlarging your exhaust manifolds outlet to the same size as the td05 exhaust housing one.
Usually just a couple of hours with a die grinder will do the trick, but its a boring and annoying job, so if you pay someone to do it mite cost a bit.
Other than that, iirc, you will need to drill out the threaded mounting holes on the td05 exhaust housing, as the starion manifold already has studs in it.
Also will need to rotate the compressor housing by undoing the large circlip on the back of it, removing the housing, grinding off the locater dowel, and then putting back on with the outlet facing a more suitable direction for your intercooler piping. Then just need the td05 J pipe that bolts to the compressor housing, or to fabricate a new piece.
Oh and if you are still running an internal wastegate, will need to fabricate a mount for that, as it wont line up with the original holes on the compressor housing.
:beer Hope i didnt miss anything
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Tamgesic wrote:Been pretty busy trying to get car wof'ed but just quickly i would have done up EX if it made any sense like that person suggested but the EX is a wreck of a car [ on the out ] and its been sitting for 9 years and deregd so definatley NOT worth my while .

Getting back to the turbo . lol

Yup i luckily found a good mechanic who knows his Starions and he got his little ear piece out and listened all over the show and he id 99% sure its the turb which for me is great news considering Ive got that Tc06 sitting there.

I want to know HOW exactly i go about getting the big 16g as i think form previous posts and a bit of study comparing the tc05 and 6 that everyone pretty much agrees its a better turbo WITHOUT being TOO big and causing too much lag .

Im also wanting to know HOW exactly and what instructions i give to making the manifold hole bigger where its meets the turbo ...is that the right place? Do you make the exhaust outlet bigger too and is it just a matter of taking down to shop to do a quick grind to make bigger?

Sorry if these sound like sily questions

Cheers people
Who was the mechanic just out of interest?
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Its easier to use your existing tco5 and combine it with the tco6.

Think it cost me $300 and you don't need to modify anything except adding a bov. Its the only mod my car has and makes a huge difference, the tco6 is pretty lazy for town use.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Lunacy wrote:
thrash wrote:so then screamer pipes are the exhaust equivalent of unboxed pod filters eh?
Only you guys in aus have to box them, pod filters are perfectly legal over here in NZ. Screamer pipes on the other hand just scream look at me i have a small c@#k!!! I hate them with a passion, as all people use them for is attention. :x
Oh i wasn't even talking about the legality of it.. i was talking about the bling/wank factor. having a pod filter that is exposed within your engine bay = hotter air in the intake = extra work for your intercooler / ping ping if no intercooler = hey look at me *wank* i gots maself a pod filter *wank wank* on mah fully sic low ridah civic broooooooo *wank*
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Without trying to cut you down, I have to ask why you are doing this? Is it for the starion or just to prove something to your ex?

The standard ecu won't let you hit 250hp at the rears as there simply isn't enough fuel and the TC06 with it's original wheel won't flow enough. If you fitted a 16G wheel and mpi'd the car you would stand in much better stead of achieving your goals.

I managed to make 200hp at the rears with a turbo that flowed 20% more than the TC06, an intercooler, ground cam and 8.5:1 compression. (You most likely have 7.6:1) I used the standard computer and had the same style of injection as you and the air fuel ratio was spiking all over the place at 13psi, it was at it's very limit.

That 2.4 l300 head is a great mod if you have one handy, wish I had done it to mine.

You should get a new man, it will make things heaps easier for you. :P
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

In all seriousness, if anyone has done any study into how the AFM type mitsubishi uses works...

Nobody would ever fit a pod filter to a car with an AFM still. It's the same all the way upto and including the current evo 10's from way back when they first went injected with cordias and starions.

All you do is get -zero- power, more noise and less fuel economy and the ECU compensates constantly with extra fuel.
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

to junkers...

Haha no the WHY of why i am doinf this has nothing to do with ex . He wanted me to buy a Soarer and i was mad keen on getting the Starion and eveen flew 2 airoplanes and drove ten hours to get it [ with the promise he would help me get it sorted ] so that out of the way its because i LIKE Starions . Like ive said in previous posts ...you can just FEEL that firmness in the chassis.

Totally agree and plan is definatly to go mpi in the future but I was pretty sure that 'for now' i would be pretty happy to start of with just some basic mods until i have means and know how to do the mpi.

Thats why i wanted to start with the turbo and exhaust and then the l300 head ..at least that will be a start and give me a bit of power in the meantime . What you have done sounds exactly like what my plan is. With a lil bit of time on the dyno to oush up boost to say 12 psi to keep it safe and make sure air/fuel ratio is right.

So if you agree thats a good plan and im pretty sure my staz will be very happy with that and feel alot less choked up . I know i will be .

So basically i need to know where to start ..and the how ..exactly
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

You should get a new man, it will make things heaps easier for you. :P[/quote]

NO men just whine and bitch ...i need to start my mechanics course .
VR4RION
[P] Plates

Post by VR4RION »

Hey there, you sound like the perfect girl!, could grow old working on our relics together,lol!!

Im a kiwi defected to the west Island, miss the roads back home!!.
Anyway about your turbo worries, there are stockpiles of turbos in the wreckers over there and im sure you could pick up a 2nd hand TDO5H 16G from a VR4 (evo0)or EVO123 for 50bucks, if ya batt ur eyelids and wiggle ya bum.

If your not sure the TD05H turbo is going to line up with your stock manifold, just get some paper and push it down firmly onto your dirty manifold where the turbo bolts on, then do the same with the bottom of the turbo, (rub a little grease on it if its not dirty enough), then hold them together up towards the sun and you will know how close or how way off it is.

From there it could be just a matter off getting on a drillpress and grinder, if you find its to far off to do that, then make a adapter plate for it use the bottom of the turbo as a template.

Mods are always trial and error, espically with our ol stazza's, not to many bolt-on kits getting round!. Hope i helped.
R.I.P. Australia's first Evo Powered Express, Il never forget the paint you spilt and the smoke you gave in 4th gear!, to think! so many years of wasting HSV's, now you may become one, lets hope they turn you into star-pickets, i know you would rather be drivin into the ground by a hammer, than by a Holden heel'n'toe wannabee. Long live the 4G's!
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

I made a mistake talking about other stuff please take me seriously

That was the best post to date on giving me ACTUAL do this do that instructions

cheers
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'm sure i mentioned gtpumps.com.au has a tutorial i'm pretty sure?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Tamgesic
I love starions

Post by Tamgesic »

I had a good read through that awhile back i think , cant remember .

Ill have to go have another look