6G72 into Starion - who has done it?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

did you then proceed to laugh at him? :P
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

dirtygalant wrote:did you then proceed to laugh at him? :P
rofl LOL
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

tsk tsk, you don't laugh at customers....

you just tell them the price and wait for them to hang up eh?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

nah he's a regular customer, cashed up, we both lol'd at the quote of $25000 he got from RPW in perth though.

see what happens. usually the guys u think cant do it end up doin it.....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

is this magna getting turbos/superchargers on it?
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'm thinking a T04Z would do it, and a full engine build. its been done before, quickest one in oz does 10.3's, fwd, manual box. his car is a 2001 model 3.5L.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

you should talk him into swapping in an awd drivetrain while he's at it :P
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

redzone wrote:nah he's a regular customer, cashed up, we both lol'd at the quote of $25000 he got from RPW in perth though.

see what happens. usually the guys u think cant do it end up doin it.....
RPW are a bunch of rip off bastards.
They might be able to build stuff, but they OVERCHARGE.
I spent many thousands of $$$ with them, so I speak from first hand experience!

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY!

They basically run a club over here called MOGWA, and unfortunately a bunch of people on there don't know any better than to give RPW money.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

well charlie weighed the block and it weighs less than a a g54b I believe. I think it's a awesome swap. I've been toying with the idea of doing a 6g72 inm a rwd format. I dont know what kind of power the bottom end is capable of handling on them though.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah I've got the block and heads bolted in the car and lowered it back down on the wheels and it's sitting at exactly the same height in the front as it did with the 4G63 (complete 4G63 mind you) - I guess once I start adding manifolds, turbos, piping, a gearbox etc things will change.

The bare block itself is not too heavy at all, definitely lighter than a bare 4 cylinder block.

The guys in the states have plenty of those whale 3000GTs into the 10s, but with every success story you get a handful of bad tales. The 2nd gen 3000GT (1993 onwards) bottom ends are very strong as they have four bolt mains instead of the earlier two bolt mains. My block from 1997 is two bolt mains but has the better crankshaft with more oiling holes. Oiling seems to be the main issue with 6G7x engines. They are very similar in design to the 4G63, more or less their 6cylinder cousin.
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

more pics pics pics (please)
quest wrote:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I've only got as far as to mounting the engine in the engine bay on Pajero mounts - I should have a Pajero 4WD V6 box turning up next week to play with - am hoping to either put a 2WD tail section on the back thus eliminating the 4WD transfer case, or if that doesn't work or the ratios end up being rubbish I'll try putting the V6 bellhousing on a 4cylinder 2WD box (preferably a late model Diesel one). Or if that fails completely I'll try and custom adapt the bellhousing onto a Toyota box of somesort (W55 or W58). A couple guys in the states are talking about making up a custom bellhousing to suit a T56 box which would be great over there, but not over here were T56s sell for $3000+.

I'm heading out to my garage this weekend to do a bit of a cleanup so I'll snap some more pics up then.
ImageImage
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

so the crank flows more oil on the 97 2 bolt? can you swap it into the 4 bolt main block?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah the crank in the MIVEC engine has extra oiling holes, and according to the people on 3Si it should be forged also. Yes you could swap the crank into a four bolt main block but they already have the better crank anyway from my understanding). Sadly my 3000GT block is an early 1990 with two bolt mains. There isn't really much wrong with a two bolt mains block, it's just the four bolt mains block is much better. Mitsubishi went with the two bolt mains block for a high revving MIVEC engine so it can't all be that bad.

Finding a four bolt 3000GT engine over here isn't easy or inexpensive. In the end it's just not worth it and the stock MIVEC block would be plenty strong for my needs.
ImageImage