Strong Gearbox

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Strong Gearbox

Post by iXNAY »

This has been talked about again and again but tonight i broke the second gearbox in my car so i really need something thats going to hold the power without breaking...

what are peoples opinions on this or what have people done?

ie.. supra 5 speed/rx7 in mazda bellhousing/pajero gearset in starion box

i have around 160rwkw so i need something that can handle that power
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Re: Strong Gearbox

Post by OLD FART »

iXNAY wrote:This has been talked about again and again but tonight i broke the second gearbox in my car so i really need something thats going to hold the power without breaking...

what are peoples opinions on this or what have people done?

ie.. supra 5 speed/rx7 in mazda bellhousing/pajero gearset in starion box

i have around 160rwkw so i need something that can handle that power
Ryan I've had my car for 16 years and haven't managed to break one yet with more power than you & I don't think I drive like a nana ( others may think differently )
So is it the way you drive = flat shifting ,burn outs downshifting without matching revs to speed ,Dropping the clutch etc
Redzone thinks that the RX7 combo is the way to go and is going to put one behind the twin cam in his widey eventually
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I've always thought that it was the driver personally. I am no expert though.

I am sticking with my box until it dies, then swapping it out for a RX7 box if it ever dies. :beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah driving style might have a bit to do with it ryan, unfortunately. what has failed on the boxes? from this we can work out whats happening to cause it..

i sold my last turbo gemini a few years ago, never broke a gearbox (had it for a year and did 13.5's) and the guy who bought it off me smashed that box 3 days after he bought it. he put a new one in, and smashed the new one in 5 days. next one lasted 2 weeks, i think he was starting to get the hang of it. i had done track days, drifting, rev dumps at 60kph, 2nd gear take offs at 7000rpm smoking em up to 100 etc etc, never even made a noise out of the box. you can do these sort of things

those boxes are renowned for being good to 11's. its just an unfortunate thing that some people's technique is harder on parts than others. for example you could put an RX7 box in or supra box and smash it too, if its a technique thing.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

its probably more of me doing hellies and burnours and just shift hard i probably need more practice on being softer on the gearbox....

the gearbox i broke now i think i have ripped all the teeth off second gear :)
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I think Ryan wants a gearbox he can do burnouts with and flat change, without having to worry about breaking it. There are a few options, but none are cheap :( The syncros in our box are not made for high rpm and the gears and bearings are not big or wide enough for what your trying to achieve. Don't forget Ryan, your car might be making 169kw but the torque has probably trippled :shock: especially when all of our upgrades (L300) are designed around making low down torque. Do you remember Adam saying that it was making half the torque of a worked 2j :D
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

yeah well we best find out what options there are and ill just open up the bank account for it!
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Ill be using the RX7/B2200 gearbox in my twincam starion. I had to buy the Belhousing new from Mazda which was not cheap, but Id say cheaper than getting a new belhousing made up.
My Brother used to have a S4 RX7 and that box was very nice to use. Plus Ive seen RX7s do 10s with a standard box, so they should be strong enough to handle what Ill be doing with it :)
Has anyone in Aus or NZ done this conversion yet??
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah "rally" has done it in his rally car. i'll be doing it to steve's widey when it eventually gets here :)

also the orange car will probably be copping one soon too, tim's a bit worried about it...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

just for info sake this guy appears to have an alignment issue with the rx7 gbox swap (its a 4g in an rx7 tho :P )

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1119

and heres his project thread

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=722
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

iXNAY wrote:...and ill just open up the bank account for it!
dogbox :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Ford Sierra Cosworth Borg-Werner gearboxes. Do a search, they're based on the Ford Type 9's and are very strong and have loads of upgrades available.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Station wrote:Ford Sierra Cosworth Borg-Werner gearboxes. Do a search, they're based on the Ford Type 9's and are very strong and have loads of upgrades available.
A guy I know here was using one of those in his starion rally car and he kept braking them. He even had a gear set imported from the UK. Cost him heaps and still kept braking them. He runs a single cam MPI motor with a TD05 16g. So not massive HP by any means. Hes now having a belhousing made up for a Supa 5 speedbox. And custom gear set... He seems to think it will be heaps stronger.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

What about getting the bellhousing for the w58 supra gearbox as you can ppg gearset for them and the bellhousing is available from the castlemaine rod shop.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

RiceThief wrote:What about getting the bellhousing for the w58 supra gearbox as you can ppg gearset for them and the bellhousing is available from the castlemaine rod shop.
Whats the belhousing worth??
He guy here is having his own gearset made...
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage