cheap chinese ebay crap turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

cheap chinese ebay crap turbo

Post by thrash »

noob question..

what can happen if you use a cheap chinese ebay crap turbo, other than the turbo itself failing? what sort of damage would/ could it do to the rest of your car?

if it's oil+water cooled, would/could it end up mixing your oil and coolant?

I've heard everyone say don't use them.. it's as taboo as incest or pedophelia.. but what could actually happen? or what has happened from people's experience? will it end up scarring your car for life and giving it mental issues and nightmares?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

You will have to accelerate harder to go up a hill than with a normal turbo which (from what I am told) you wont have to do because of the boost/load/bullshit factor. :D
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

The thing could work fine. But like any turbo if it lets go, any of the things you mentioned could happen.

Compressor wheel failure....can get ingested into the engine and cause chaos.
Exhaust wheel failure....drops out the exhaust and may catch in cat or muffler.

As for oil/water mix.....not sure if that will fail as the passages are seperate. Unless it split in half.

Chinese stuff has come a long way.....but you never know.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

isn't everything made in china now a days?

i don't think they would be that bad too use... especially only if your car is a daily driver!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
4gpwr
I love starions

china

Post by 4gpwr »

Get the ebay turbo reuilt with a garrett reuild kit should not cost more than $600 .They do fail in the thrust bearings if the turbine wheel cocks over the turbine wheel will possiably destroy itself in some cases will end up with bits of metal in your eng taking the motor out with it
4Gs Rule
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

id give one a go and if it failed and wrecked the engine its a good excuse to go twin cam :)

and also then you can tell everyone on the forum so they don't have to wreck there engines :)
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Luke (eljay) had one of these on a guys VL turbo. The turbo failed as usual but he said the only problem with them is they are never balanced. So if you get one, get it balanced and it shouldn't fail.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

with a compressor wheel failure wouldnt most of the shit if not all of it get caught in your intercooler?(assuming you have one which i think you would if your buying a bigger turbo)

iv thought about getting one to mix and match bits with my genuine evo3 tdo5
has the usualu cracking in the exhaust housing an its cheaper to get one of these and swap the housing than buy a new housing
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

It is true that alot would get caught in your intercooler BUT bear in mind if you have a bigger turbo, you would have a bigger intercooler. Even if you don't intercooler bars or tubes (depending on which type) are quite big and even a small metal shard can get through and destroy your engine. And the pieces that would get through can be easily bigger then a 5 cent piece which is big enough to destroy your entire engine. Have fun :beer
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

why not try a japanese KKR...
i have one and it goes well
JB Starion - 2 tone Maroon/Silver, L300 MPI, KKR 430, Simmons, RX7 550cc, bosch 044 fuel pump..
194.7HP atw!!!
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

why not try any other turbo. It will save you more in the long run :beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah those T70 things are shithouse laggy as fuck too even on an RB25
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

is it easy to tell if a turbo is balanced or not? how would you tell?

Should it spin freely bu hand if pushed to one side? Or would a balanced turbo still get stuck?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

your car will explode! Dont put that commie shit into your car! rofl
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

several 2.6 starions on SQC run ebay T-70s... excellent response & power.
Lots of oz/nz tiny CA18s run T-70. Laggy as any expensive comparible sized turbo.
DOHC 2.4 posted on SQC made 560+hp atw thru a bone stock head boosted by twin $170 ebay T3s @29psi straight out the box. Try it with a new $600 garret T3 :)
Sure most failed a few years ago, but obviously not the case anymore.
I've been seeing some very impressive performing cars run ebay turbos - street 4s into the low 12s to hi 10s.