Narrow to widebody??

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Well i asked the LTSA about bringing in a car thats older and if I hav to wait until it's 20 then bring it in or bring it in now and wait till it's 20 to register and also if it matters what country it's coming from and they replied:
Good afternoon Robin

Thank you for your email dated 15 July 2007.
New Zealand allows new and used vehicles to be imported, but has legal requirements to regulate the quality and safety of all vehicles that are imported into New Zealand for use on the road.

Although Land Transport New Zealand endeavours to provide helpful information regarding the importation of vehicles, it is not our function to offer advice about the purchase and importation of particular vehicles.

For your information the following Land Transport New Zealand website www.landtransport.govt.nz/importing/index.html is available for you to make an informed decision.

If you require further advice about a particular vehicle, you should contact an Entry Certifier (see Infosheet 1.67 for contact details) or a New Zealand representative of the vehicle manufacturer.

The Land Transport NZ TSD agents listed below are appointed by the director of Land Transport to advise on the suitability of vehicles for import. They carry out entry certification of imported used vehicles and new vehicles that are imported by persons other than the vehicle manufacturer’s representative in New Zealand:

Automobile Association (AA), phone +64 9 966 8800, fax +64 9 966 8893, email aatech@aa.co.nz
On Road New Zealand, phone +64 9 444 6921, fax +64 9 444 1827
Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ), phone +64 9 573 3055, fax +64 9 573 3059
Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ), phone +64 4 381 6500, fax +64 4 381 6530, email technical@vtnz.co.nz
I have provided a link to the cost of vehicle licensing fees (refer to table MR1/1B license Motor Vehicle and registration fees refer to table MR2A/2B Registration of Motor Vehicle).
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/vehicl ... ation.html

I have also provided links to Customs and MAF as you may wish to check what their requirements are when importing a vehicle into New Zealand.

www.customs.govt.nz/
www.maf.govt.nz/
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

So basically you ask them a question and they don't answer you, just give you a disclaimer and fob you off to find out......
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

FST4RD wrote:So basically you ask them a question and they don't answer you, just give you a disclaimer and fob you off to find out......
Ha ha just like most government departments. I think what kiwieurospec said above is pretty much spot on. So if you wanted a widey imported you'd want to buy one overseas now, then bring it in later. Would you not consider doing the whole donor panel thing? welding it in instead of glassing? It'd be an experience alright.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

With the panels and welding them in and what not i wouldn't be able to do anything myself, where as a couple of my mates are glassers....
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

If your going to get all those panels imported..

Why not just get the whole car and just cut out the firewall bit holding the chassis number and weld your narrowbody chassis number in place..

saves a whole lot of part swapping & welding and will probably leave you with better car.

Question is.. is that legal..?
compressor

Post by compressor »

i say give it a go :wink: worst thing that could happen is it would look like a vip car :wink: if so sell it to some fob asian rofl or just pull it off and start again glass is easy to use just takes time to shape sand ect

iv just helped my brother in law put widebody gaurds on a 180sx they were 50mm wider easy as just pop rivet them on them glass over edges easy as :wink: shouldnt be to hard to do

see if you can get your hands on a pair of 180sx rear wide gaurds put them on next to the starion you might stumble onto something

go see a glasser see if they have any other kits that may fit eg commodore or volvo had some simular shaped kits im sure even early audi rally cars looked a bit like starions worth a try anyway :wink:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

there is.. dare i say it.. one advantage to making fiberglass molds of the rear end and replacing the entire rear section (instead of just the gueards, taking into account redzone's comments about fiberglass and metal bonding looking dodgy)..

you're car would shed a lot of weight that way :D

Considering that, if i was after a racecar, it'd probably be a worthwhile project.. the suspension geometry of a widebody.. without the wieght..

although i must say.. i've never driven a widey, so i can't comment on the handling compared to a narrow..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

FST4RD wrote:I already got an 87 (JD) narrow body 5 stud starion and all that. Just want the widebody look with out having to hack out the rear guards on a widebody starion and weld and what not on to mine. Thought might be able to fibreglass it and then get some widebody front guards and bolt them up.

Was wondering, taking a mould off the widebody rear end, would it damage it in anyway??
I think you'll find your car is a JE , check the chassis number . They were made in very limited numbers as it was an interim model as the widebodies weren't ready .
I certainly wouldn't be doing ANYTHING to the body of that one . It's by far the rarest Starion model series .
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

thrash wrote: (instead of just the suspension geometry of a widebody.. without the wieght..

although i must say.. i've never driven a widey, so i can't comment on the handling compared to a narrow..
...provided he can get his hands on the widebody suspension to fit . .

The widebodies didn't fare as well in competition because of the problems with weight and excessive understeer ( I'm quoting Ralliart Japan and UK ) .
マンコ ハンター。

NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Tony, I thought that the A184 was the rarist production chassis?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Mr Ralliart wrote:
FST4RD wrote:I already got an 87 (JD) narrow body 5 stud starion and all that. Just want the widebody look with out having to hack out the rear guards on a widebody starion and weld and what not on to mine. Thought might be able to fibreglass it and then get some widebody front guards and bolt them up.

Was wondering, taking a mould off the widebody rear end, would it damage it in anyway??
I think you'll find your car is a JE , check the chassis number . They were made in very limited numbers as it was an interim model as the widebodies weren't ready .
I certainly wouldn't be doing ANYTHING to the body of that one . It's by far the rarest Starion model series .
Really? You learn something new every day!
I decided I like the narrow body for this one and will try and buy a widebody when I get some more $$$
I did find a production sticker that said some date in October 1987 underneith the rear piece of the incar roof lining, so i'm guessing my car rolled of the production line at the end of 87 sometime??
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

NXTIME wrote:Tony, I thought that the A184 was the rarist production chassis?
Of course , there were only 50 made . But I was talking about as a model series meaning of JA , JB , JD , JE , JM 2ltr , JM 2.6ltr .

The JE was not supposed to have been , but the JM was way behind schedule and many people had been waiting for it to come out . Mitsubishi didn't want to lose the sales ( particularly in the UK ) and also needed something better to combat Mazda's new RX7 so they decided to throw as many bits already made for the Wideys onto the current JD but because there were quite a few changes ( unlike the few minor mid model JA changes ) they decided to make it a new model .
The plan worked and with a big marketing push they sold fairly quickly . I'm told they still ran out before the widey came out , but it had served the purpose . Ironically it was probably the best Starion made , particularly the DASH powered ones .

As a footnote , it appears that we were supposed to have gotten some of them here in Australia but the pin was pulled on the Starion all together before they got here :( ( although a couple did physically get here )
マンコ ハンター。

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

which one is the A184? what are the differences to he standard?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Mr Ralliart

Post by Mr Ralliart »

thrash wrote:which one is the A184? what are the differences to he standard?
That's the 2ltr powered Widebody sold in Japan only .
マンコ ハンター。

FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Thanks for that, seems I have a pretty rare car then :)
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion