Large LSD

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Here's a shot of the two crown wheels side by side....same diameters!
The gears on the right are raised slightly off the ground, so a slight visual distortion!
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

MainstreaM wrote:Here in the states there is a difference in torque tube length depending on 5spd or slushbox.
FWIW.
Kane
you sure about that? my 5 speed conversion didnt have any issues on my 88 large diff with 6 bolts.

btw, I had a hole 4 bolt rear end out of a 86 widebody 5 speed. torque tube and even axles if need be if anyone needs one ;)
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

airbats801 wrote: btw, I had a hole 4 bolt rear end out of a 86 widebody 5 speed. torque tube and even axles if need be if anyone needs one ;)
Shaun,

I'm sure we'll be able to take the diff /torque tube and maybe axles off your hands.

Can you get your parts boxed up in two boxes....and please take photo's of the stuff ready to go!!
Ist box...the outside gear carrier/case + back plate + torque tube
That should be maxed out to 44pounds and shipping should cost @ $180 using USPS priority mail 6-10 days.
2nd box... LSD internals including crown wheel and pinion. Please quote price for shipping using USPS.
Also, could you show price for shipping with both axles included in this box.???

Perhaps Silo can buy the 1st box for $100 + shipping and I could purchase the 2nd box for $150 + shipping???
That's US$250 for your troubles. I believe Kumeruppance just sold one here for around that price!

What do you guys think?
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

thats fine. I can probably get you a 4.22 or 3.9 gear set if you want also. I'd have to see what the yards cost me.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

JDSTAZ45 wrote:
airbats801 wrote: btw, I had a hole 4 bolt rear end out of a 86 widebody 5 speed. torque tube and even axles if need be if anyone needs one ;)
Shaun,

I'm sure we'll be able to take the diff /torque tube and maybe axles off your hands.

Can you get your parts boxed up in two boxes....and please take photo's of the stuff ready to go!!
Ist box...the outside gear carrier/case + back plate + torque tube
That should be maxed out to 44pounds and shipping should cost @ $180 using USPS priority mail 6-10 days.
2nd box... LSD internals including crown wheel and pinion. Please quote price for shipping using USPS.
Also, could you show price for shipping with both axles included in this box.???

Perhaps Silo can buy the 1st box for $100 + shipping and I could purchase the 2nd box for $150 + shipping???
That's US$250 for your troubles. I believe Kumeruppance just sold one here for around that price!

What do you guys think?
No good to me without the Pinion too :beer

Silas
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

silo wrote:No good to me without the Pinion too :beer

Silas
No prob's there, as I will end up with 2 spare 3.55 crown wheel and pinions which I don't need unless
you want a set of 3.9 gears with pinion sent over.
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Hey guys, I have the stuff all seperated.

I dont know if silo needs the ring gear or not, but I have the lsd out, and the torque tube off, plus teh housing witht eh ring gear in it.

torque tube by tiself will be 37 shipped. As for the diff housing, I believe it's a bit over 25lbs so shipping will be 100 at least.

80's Hero
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

All this diff stuff is confusing, how many different starion diffs are out there?

I'm asking because i was looking to replace just the diff center by one from the states.

The diff is have is from a '90 eu spec widebody with 6 bolt axles

I also have a diff from a 82 2000ex with the 4 bolt axles
And still have to see what is under my 88 widey

What are the sizes I should measure to know what LSD diff center to get?

would a 88-89 US spec LSD center fit?

Would it help if I take some pics & measurements and post em or is this information known already.?
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

well and 88 or newer starion had a 6 bolt diff which excepted the larger axles. The earlier widebodies were the larger sized 4 bolt diffs. And I guess anything but jd flat bodies had the small diff?
80's Hero
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Xentro wrote:All this diff stuff is confusing, how many different starion diffs are out there?

I'm asking because i was looking to replace just the diff center by one from the states.

The diff is have is from a '90 eu spec widebody with 6 bolt axles

I also have a diff from a 82 2000ex with the 4 bolt axles
And still have to see what is under my 88 widey

What are the sizes I should measure to know what LSD diff center to get?

would a 88-89 US spec LSD center fit?

Would it help if I take some pics & measurements and post em or is this information known already.?
Basically, a pre '85 model staz will have the small diff with 4 bolt axles
A post '85 model to 1987 staz will have a large diff with 4 bolt axles
And then '88 on will have the 6 bolt axle large diff....

So, depending on the year of your car and the type of axle (4 or 6), get the right LSD centre to be on the safe side!!

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
JustPaus_88TSi
Dorifto!

Post by JustPaus_88TSi »

airbats801 wrote:
MainstreaM wrote:Here in the states there is a difference in torque tube length depending on 5spd or slushbox.
FWIW.
Kane
you sure about that? my 5 speed conversion didnt have any issues on my 88 large diff with 6 bolts.
Definately no difference between transmission types other than the length of the driveshaft.

The torque tubes in non-IC'd cars are longer than intercooled widebody units to make up for the difference in the shorter non-lsd dif cases.. The 85.5 intercooled flatty uses the later widebody TT and rear/LSD which is actually designed for trucks to begin with. All pre-85.5 models with LSD used the smaller units originally designed for the SQ's.

Moral or the story, use the torque tube that came with the LSD rear and you'll be fine.
88TSI-nicely modded...
01 IS300, GTE swap, 60-1 Garrett, Tein, Volk CE28N etc...
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

There's info about this stuff on my web site
http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au

Look on the DRIVELINE page.
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

anyone use a locker???

iv got one for mine is it worth putting it in?? was going to use it for drags only
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Theres a guy where i ive that has a VR4 powered JA with a locked diff, Its road registered but its mainly used at hillclimbs etc. I havnt heard about him breaking a diff yet..
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

I think the starion diff is plenty strong enough. I dont see any issues with running a spool.
80's Hero