Screamer Pipe!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Screamer Pipe!

Post by iXNAY »

after working back today and being at work for 12 hours! i have come home with a screamer pipe :)

SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

Sounds like you must be busy at work.
Agatha the ugly Starion
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

You know im not sure, but that might make the car loud :P
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
85_cordia_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by 85_cordia_gsr »

yeh it will be chronically loud even at idle (if u havent welded the big port from wastegate to the exhaust outlet on the turbo), if u have, then it'll sound sik :P :D
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

umm, you do know that a screamer pipe is just a wastegate pipe, so it will be the same at idle, but on boost..... fuck me dead.

an open exhaust however wich it looks like you have, that would be fairly loud, but even then with a turbo car its not too bad
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Looking for opinions on this, is there any benefit that can be had frm having a screamer on the wastegate outlet of the turbo rather than having one large moulded pipe? I have the option of getting one when I get my new dump made up, but if its just going to attract attention and not give any benefit...i'll pass.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

It will be loud unless the wastegate outlet and the main exhaust outlet are seperated by a plate or something. Otherwise part of the exhaust will exit the screamer pipe.
Rogercordia
I like starions

dfsd

Post by Rogercordia »

From experience,yes a screamer pipe does make a difrence with performance,you will notice it come on boost quicker.Its very proven that it works.
senior ding dong.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Re: dfsd

Post by SpidersWeb »

Rogercordia wrote:From experience,yes a screamer pipe does make a difrence with performance,you will notice it come on boost quicker.Its very proven that it works.
The screamer pipe is closed off when you're off-boost.

The screamer pipe's main goal is to allow more stable boost control because it can vent the excess exhaust a lot easier. Instead of cramming the wastegate gas flow and the main exhaust flow together, they seperate which means less turbulance/restriction which means a little more power too. Its a common upgrade, used to overcome the boost creep that some people suffer with larger aftermarket exhausts.

It does not, and can not 'bring boost on faster' ffs
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Rogercordia
I like starions

Post by Rogercordia »

SpidersWeb wrote:
Rogercordia wrote:From experience,yes a screamer pipe does make a difrence with performance,you will notice it come on boost quicker.Its very proven that it works.
The screamer pipe is closed off when you're off-boost.

The screamer pipe's main goal is to allow more stable boost control because it can vent the excess exhaust a lot easier. Instead of cramming the wastegate gas flow and the main exhaust flow together, they seperate which means less turbulance/restriction which means a little more power too. Its a common upgrade, used to overcome the boost creep that some people suffer with larger aftermarket exhausts.

It does not, and can not 'bring boost on faster' ffs
when the wastgate flap is open,the air has to merge at a 90 degree bend to merge with the rest of the zorst,with a screamer there is no restriction when it comes to the zorst gas escaping asap,what ever principal or scientific thing it is,like i said i do feel the difrence with a screamer,it spools quicker,thus boost comes quicker,thats my case.
senior ding dong.
grumbly
Strut Braces

Post by grumbly »

it must be so...cos Roger said so
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

The only problem is that the Starion turbine housing wastegate exit area is open to the main exhaust so it will flow all the time. This is unlike an EVO3 housing for example that has a separate exit for the wastegate.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Rogercordia wrote:when the wastgate flap is open,the air has to merge at a 90 degree bend to merge with the rest of the zorst,with a screamer there is no restriction when it comes to the zorst gas escaping asap,what ever principal or scientific thing it is,like i said i do feel the difrence with a screamer,it spools quicker,thus boost comes quicker,thats my case.
Please enlighten us simpletons how you make boost with the wastegate flap open.
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thanks for the feed back guys!

we were going to try close up the port between the wastegate and the exhaust but where a bit unsure on how due to it being cast! (so no welding :()

if it is too loud ill cut it down in size and chuck a 90degree bend on it and weld it back into the exhaust!

cant wait too hear it thought should sound the goods
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
grumbly
Strut Braces

Post by grumbly »

I have seen a divider welded onto the flange and that used to seal off the outlets. otherwise arc a piece in, using cast rods.