Nissan Altima to race in V8 Suppercars in 2013

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Nissan Altima to race in V8 Suppercars in 2013

Post by thrash »

http://www.caradvice.com.au/166585/niss ... s-in-2013/

I find it rather sickening that a manufacturer that produces no rwd v8 road cars can be allowed by rules to put the shell of a front drive v6 car onto such a chassis and race.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

V8 stupidcars = nascar, this just proves it.

Ps yes they do make a V8 rwd road car, it just won't be sold here. The motor is a development of Nissan's vh56de v8, just with pushrod (lol) heads installed
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

which car do nissan make that is rwd and v8? That motor is from the Patrol..

Infiniti is the only branch of Nissan that makes use of these v8 motors in a sedan.. so if anything, it should have been an Infiniti in the running, not the Altima
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Its COTF rules now.

So no road going homologation required.

Aussie touring cars died years ago!
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

Personally I think this is a great development for motor racing in Australia.

Hopefully this will be a milestone marking the beginning of the end for the V8 supercar era and with some luck the beginning of a new more production car based touring car series.
I think thats what car enthusiasts want to see and its only a matter of time before manufacturers realise this.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

I'm with you there sucka!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

thrash wrote:which car do nissan make that is rwd and v8? That motor is from the Patrol..

Infiniti is the only branch of Nissan that makes use of these v8 motors in a sedan.. so if anything, it should have been an Infiniti in the running, not the Altima
That same infinity is sold in japan as a nissan
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

let's hope you're right sucka

fair enough redzone, i still think it's retarded that the rules allow for an altima shell to be put onto such a chassis, but as you said, i guess it's all just becoming a replica of nascar
quest wrote:
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

redzone wrote:V8 stupidcars = nascar, this just proves it.

Ps yes they do make a V8 rwd road car, it just won't be sold here. The motor is a development of Nissan's vh56de v8, just with pushrod (lol) heads installed
Where did you get that info? A complete re engineer of heads and engine block to run push rod heads? Highly unlikely. I'm sure the VK56DE engine was not R & D for a crude push rod head set up. This does not make COTF cheap to make, which is their priority.
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

vr4gone wrote:

Where did you get that info? A complete re engineer of heads and engine block to run push rod heads? Highly unlikely. I'm sure the VK56DE engine was not R & D for a crude push rod head set up. This does not make COTF cheap to make, which is their priority.
+1 I'd like to see a link to that info, I cant find any info about kelly racing or nissan converting that engine to pushrod valve actuation, only a mention of resleeving to reduce displacement.

In all honesty I can't see why they would bother,and I expect they wont. There is no reason why the quad cam engine couldnt be used in the smaller displacement required for the class and still be tuned to match the horsepower of the other two marques.
Thats why V8 supercars have the parity rules, to ensure no car gains too much advantage over the rest of the field.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

how's this for proper "car of the future" rules?

races are to be 500km long.
Only a Single tank of.. i don't know, say 60L of fuel? is allowed.
Minimum power of 300 wkw.
Time limit of 4 or 5 hours - average speed of 100 - 125km/h.
Fastest car to finish the 500kms wins.
Run out of fuel = disqualified.
Break down = disqualified.
Don't finish within time limit = disqualified.

What's important to the general public these days? economy, reliability, safety and comfort? safety is already catered for.. comfort cannot be catered for by a race, but economy and reliability can.. and of course, power for the rev heads..

So.. economy - the cars must achieve an average of 12L per 100km to complete the race. Reliability? This would be covered by being disqualified for a breakdown within 500kms of racing (or more of course).

Not possible to reliably achieve 12L per 100kms at power levels of at least 300 wkw? Perhaps not with today's outdated technology.. but that's the point - this kind of racing would force manufacturers to put more effort into research and development.

I think this would make an interesting and scary recipe for racing to bring automotive technology up to date.. and perhaps it would be more relevant to the general public and hence make racing relevant to the world again.

Perhaps the exact number for the rules need to be tweaked and researched, but other than that, opinions?
quest wrote:
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Personally, I like it a lot.
Though driver skill is all but removed from this equation.
So it won't suit the egos of many, to quote Rainman "I'm an excellent driver".
With up to 300kw on tap, it's still quite a bit of grunt so maybe it will suit...

Yes, the numbers would require tweaking.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

that's not necessarily true - driver skill is a factor whether the race is between 6hp go karts or between formula 1 cars, and everything in between..
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

sucka wrote:
vr4gone wrote:

+1 I'd like to see a link to that info, I cant find any info about kelly racing or nissan converting that engine to pushrod valve actuation, only a mention of resleeving to reduce displacement.

In all honesty I can't see why they would bother,and I expect they wont. There is no reason why the quad cam engine couldnt be used in the smaller displacement required for the class and still be tuned to match the horsepower of the other two marques.
Thats why V8 supercars have the parity rules, to ensure no car gains too much advantage over the rest of the field.

have a read through this thread:

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131875

vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

Info taken from a forum is simply not credible.

here is the link for the updated rules not including COTF which I imagine are still being drawn up which is my speculative opinion.

pages 24-27

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical ... fault.aspx