MPI

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

MPI

Post by FST4RD »

If i run an MPI manifold with evo injectors and airflow meter can i use the evo loom and ecu (or VR4 for that matter)????

What else would i need to run it?? Coil packs etc etc.....

on a 12 valve DASH motor

Thanks
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

There is no way you can use a DASH motor with an Evo computer. It just WONT work. Sorry for the bad news.
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

i reckon you could. you would need the evo afm and need 2 do somthing about the dizzy etc may not run very well could possibly be fixd witha safc etc why go 2 all the effort ?
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Well i could get the loom, ecu, AFM, injectors, coil packs from an evo off a mate for next to nothing, cheaper than a few thou for an aftermarket setup....

So no good then..... :(
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

The engines are different. Different cams, different air-fuel ratios, I am pretty sure it isn't worth the hassle. I would love to be proven wrong though. :beer
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Fair enough,

Well here another question that will probably disappoint...
I know with the popular brands of cars like the evo's and what not you can get loom adapters that you can plug your aftermarket ECU into the factory loom, I guess you can't get these for my motor???
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Nope :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Man they don't make things easy do they :cry:

oh well might have to save and get an aftermarket computer.

What are peoples recommendations???
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Wolf 3D Ver4 R fantastic for the price, some sellers still have old stock( but new), V500 is the best but at $1800 is a bit expensive. IMHO :beer :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ems stinger, haltech E6X. the wolf 3Dver 4 isnt available anymore..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

ecu

Post by pajeroturbo »

Haltech E6X is a fantastic aftermarket ecu for mpi setup at a starion engine .I have been using it for almost 5 years and it woks perfect .and also it is still available.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I can't see why you couldn't do it, but it may not be practical.
The biggest hurdle would be adapting the CAS to work with the SOHC head.
Then as the volumetric efficiencies are different you would probably need to get a tune, although you may be lucky. This can be done using Ecutec software to modify the stock evo settings. Unfortunately this is the stage that upsets the show as I think it is a relatively expensive excersise - ie. you can probably get a full aftermarket ECU for similar $$ and save a swag of headaches.

That said, if you are a DIYer and can get the stuff for free, what have you got to lose other than time? Remember that you will need to swap everything over including all sensors, t/b, AFM, FPR to name a few.

I personally wouldn't bother, but good luck if you decide to proceed.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Might just save and get an aftermarket setup and deloom things whilst i'm at it, cause lord knows the starions engine bay ain't the cleanest :)
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

It is do'able, but you would need to be competant and/or have some help.

1. You will need the trigger disk from the evo/vr4 and install it in a suitable dizzy, L300 for example, and correctly wire it into the evo loom.
Pull-up resistors may be required on the 2 signal wires to +5V (1K ohm).

2. You will need to have a new inlet manifold fabricated, or some surgery where the dash manifold is mated to the evo manifold. There was a pix/link posted recently where one of our friends from Japan multipointed a dash inlet manifold. Have a look at that, and get a pix of WANTSOMS manifold for ideas on whats possible. This is required to get multipoint, and to get rid of the chronically bad std manifold design.

3. You will need to get the evo/vr4 ecu re-programmed and tuned.
This can be done, Chris Meek at MEEK PERFORMANCE in Sydney does this, so i suppose there must be someone in NZ that can as well.

Finally, the dash head idle poorly with both inlet valves working, when using the std dash manifold. But, It will idle ok when a decent manifold is used, refer questions on this to WANTSOM. Jaycar sell some nice car kits, one of which could be used as an rpm based valve trigger to drive the oil solenoid.

If you keep the std inlet manifold you will struggle to get much past 130rwkw, but a good manifold will allow you to get to the 200rwkw playground (with a bunch of boost though).
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Yeah I got a mate working on a MPI manifold for me at the moment, He built his own one for his 200+kw 4AGTE and he had heaps of piping and what not left over. :D

Also looking at custom turbo manifold for the TD05 just for bling and cause the same mate can build one of those for me as well....

Then looking at an aftermarket intercooler and some custom piping and 2.5" mandrel bend exhaust, some evo injectors....

Then the custom ECU and loom.....

Bought myself another shitter to run around in, so will be able to side line the starion till i complete all of the above :twisted: