Weird dodgy thing just happened

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Weird dodgy thing just happened

Post by gotrice? »

Ok I was just watching TV got a phone call, some Indian guy looking for the owner of this house. I said there not here, then he’s like is this (says the phone number of this house) i was like "yeah" Not smart now that i think about it. then "could I get their mobile number?" I was like “what are you after them for?” he’s like “no no I’ll ring back later” "okay then could I grab your name then?" victor” and “your last name?” I’ll call back later”..hmmm? “okay then do you have a number I could call you back on?” "I’ll ring back later " hangs up. He had call barring on.

telstra, anz, ect don't use call barring right?

Bold is me
Last edited by gotrice? on Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Back
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

I had one of those last week - strong Indian accent, terrible line...except he told me his full name - Bob Smith. LOL
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I once had a similar thing happen but on my mobile. The indian guy's number showed up on my phone. He said he was from my telephone company and wanted to confirm my account details. After trying to convince me but realising he wasn't getting anywhere (I turned things around and had him dodging my questions), he hung up. I called his mobile number right back, and guess what? It wasn't connected.

I called my phone company and they had been inundated with similar reports.

It's not hard to see through these calls as no phone company/bank/etc will ever call you to confirm your details. If they do, be very, very suspicious as 99.9% of the time it won't actually be them.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

dodgy... anyone got a list of Indian phone numbers?
_

Post by tmz_99 »

decoy wrote:dodgy... anyone got a list of Indian phone numbers?
mate, it just takes a little searching.. but here you go.. as well as addresses:

Chefs of Tandoori
A Taste Of India. Adelaide's Finest Indian Food. Take Away Menu Online
259 - 269 Unley Rd Malvern SA 5061
ph: (08) 8373 5055 Restaurant/s

Namaste On Parade
The Most Traditional Nepalese Cuisine In Adelaide
300 The Parade Kensington SA 5068
ph: (08) 8332 2788 Restaurant/s

Jasmin Indian Restaurant
31 Hindmarsh Sq (Off Rundle Mall) Adelaide SA 5000
ph: (08) 8223 7837 Restaurant/s

have fun taking the little woman out ;)
---------
TVR T350C
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

rofl

the little woman? i was thinking more along the lines of... you ;)
_

Post by tmz_99 »

decoy wrote:rofl

the little woman? i was thinking more along the lines of... you ;)
awww shucks.. man, I don't know what to say.. :cry:
---------
TVR T350C
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

I used to cop these all the time, when I didn’t have a job and just sat at home most of the day (the good old days, how I miss them). I used to try and make them hang up first, by saying things like: “have you heard my Bill Crosby impression”, or asking “what’s the score?” to everything they say, pretending I couldn’t hear them, breathing REALLY heavy or pretending I was on the toilet in the middle of a painful dump. The longest I kept one of them on the line for was about 17mins.
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I get those phone calls at 6pm right in the middle of feeding kids. "Interested in refinancing your home loan..." blah blah. But they have my surname misspelt on their list so I know if it's a sales call. One of my favourite replies is, "No I'm not him, just hang on and I'll get him" then leave the phone alone for a few minutes. I wonder how long they wait before hanging up?
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

i used to like them, but they wont call anymore :( i wonder why?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

with your posts on here?

i wonder scum rofl rofl
1983 JA Staz
honest_jim
Dorifto!

Post by honest_jim »

i get called by them once or twice a day, i can always tell as there is a short silent gap when i pick up the phone and when it connects to the person on the other end. Must be because a machine rings the number for them from a big list.

Anyhow ive taken to just making angry Dr Zoidberg noises down the phone!!!

(you know the sound!) :)
Starion 2000 EX.. bosch fuel pump, sard dumpvalve, knN drilled air box, Haltech F5 + 2 injectors, turbosmart FCD + Dual stage boost controller, tublar turbo header, turbo back 2.5" stainless exhaust 4.5" tip, Innovate MS wideband A/F meter.
avandulls_gal
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandulls_gal »

Yeah that silence is a total tip off. And I hate the fact that they then pick up the phone and say "hello?" like it was you who called them.

I once had a guy selling some piece of crap . I told him, "no thanks, I can't afford it, I'm a student". So he says, "yes you can, you're obviously just not budgeting well enough" :shock: :glare:
I told him I didn't think it was his place to be making judgements about my financial situation so he laughed at me! Needless to say, I hung up. Prick. No more miss nice avandulls_gal.

I had another one trying to sell some cases of wine. I thought later I should have said "oh, I really would like to, but I think my AA sponsor would disapprove. Do you think a few bottles of wine would constitute falling off the wagon?" just to see what they said. rofl

I got one this morning. I had just gotten out of the shower and the phone rang, so off i run, wet, naked, and subsequently cold, leaving drips in my slippers on the way, to answer the phone to... on hold music!!!!! WTF? Who the hell rings you to put you on hold?

Nowadays if someone doesn't immediately answer my "hello" I hang up. Screw 'em.

Unfortunately these so-and-so's are making it terribly hard for legitimate researchers (i.e. academics) who conduct research by phone. It's now just not a viable option, which is sad since it was so efficient.
SEND PICS FOR AUSTARION CALENDAR TO: austarion.calendar(at)gmail.com

(replace (at) with @, just avoiding spam)

WIFE: noun: 1) pit-crew at race days 2) emergency pick up and tow service 3) shoulder to cry on after VERY unsuccessful race days
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

Best one yet...yesterday someone rings then theres a hugh silence like 20 secs i usally then i say hello? indian women answers hello i'm ringing because we would like to offer you 38% off you next phone bill!!!
i said thank you then hung up.

Just the fact that they waited till i spoke before sayin anything, then no name or the company they rang from. :? :?
I'm Back
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

we get phone calls around 6pm and it is just dead silence.

We have been told by a friend who works for a phone company that this is some indian call centre to see when u are actually home.

if u get the dead silence we were told to press the # key as many times as possible as this screws with the computer on the other end?

my grandma answers then just leaves phone on counter as she cooks her dinner :D

i asked who they were and they hang up??? another is "is the owner of the house hold home" my reply no. then they hanged up??? even when i said yes once they still hanged up.

At work we get a phillopino woman always calling about phone deals. My boss does the whole- oh, what your on a bad line sorry...hangs up, or no the manager is not in today try next week hangs up
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?