wheel alignment

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
androoz
Enthusiast

wheel alignment

Post by androoz »

ive just put some 2nd 16" rims on my car.. but when they were trying to do a full alignment, they told me that i cant adjust the rear, or the front right..

firstly they said the rear only has adjustable cams (or something like that).. and he showed me that the front could only be aligned on the left wheel..

after they so called aligned it to the best of thier abilities, the car pulls to the right, even worst than it used to.. which was only a little to the left..

they also mentioned something about there being a straight bolt though the back.. said it needs an adjustable bolt.. does this guy know what his talking about?

i went to the tyrefactory in sunshine to do this.. any more info would help.. has anyone else had problems with places that dont know how to align the starion? is there something out of the normal with aligning the starion?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Either there is a mechanical issue with your front end preventing them from doing the alignment or the guys you went to are dickheads.

The fronts are fully adjustable both sides but from memory you have to remove either the tie rod bolt or pitman arm bolt to get the full range of adjustment on the right front, then re-tighten the bolts and put new split pits in.

The rears are adjustable for camber and a "little' toe. the cam wheel for the rear camber is on the inner most lower suspension pick up (near the diff) if you look closely enough.

Others will have more detailed info for you I'm sure but there IS a fair bit of adjustment in the Starion suspension - front and rear. Take the car to somewhere that knows more than how to change a flat tyre.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: wheel alignment

Post by Cookiemonster »

androoz wrote:ive just put some 2nd 16" rims on my car.. but when they were trying to do a full alignment, they told me that i cant adjust the rear, or the front right..

.. does this guy know what his talking about?
NO! Take it someplace else. And get your money back from that d1ckhead.
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

im so upset.. the guy adjusted only the front left, and now the car runs so terrible.. the handling has reduced to a bomb.. :x
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

you knowwhat to do now though.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

take it to someone who is willing to actually work for their pay! :x

Greg is right, the right side front does not have an adjustment tube, so it has to be disconnected to actually change its length.
The procedure is to center the steering wheel (and it may NOT be in the center of its rotational travel), set the right side toe adjustment, set the left side toe adjustment.

The factory toe setting is for a little toe in (i forget how much).
Most of us who go to the track run something like zero to 2mm toe out.

And before all this is done, get them to set the front castor (as much as can possible for the same amount both sides, eg 4 to 6 degrees).

The factory rear toe setting is a good place to start, but can be improved upon, depending on your particular setup (springs/lowering/shocks/tyres etc).

Dont go to anyone who does not have a '4 HEAD' allignment machine, and always get and keep a copy of the results, before and after!!!
That way you can build up a picture of what works on your staz.
androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

thanks heaps guys.. ill have to get it redone sometime soon.. but i might have to pass on what u guys have told me to the guys doing the alignment..
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Get it done REAL soon, or kiss your front tyres goodbye.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

You know who to see......... :D
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

ghostbusters!!!

but yeh, get it done asap.
_

camber adjustment

Post by Icestar »

but how do you adjust the camber guys?

I just put in new struts in my car ( 87 ic 2.0 narrowbody) but I think the struts are from a 2.6 w/b, arent the struts supposed to be the same? The car now has negative camber :( :roll:
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

you are funny....if u have neg. i would say they arent the same. Camber can be adjusted by offset hat rotation or camber pins in the control arm.
Icestar
Newcomer

Post by Icestar »

LOL sorry, of course I meant POSITIVE camber ;)
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Is it cold there? I meant both...you need to dial out neg to get pos..and dial out pos to get neg..or straight up as well.
Icestar
Newcomer

cold???

Post by Icestar »

well dude, what you have in the winter is what we have in the summer, its around 20°c here now :wink: but we have alot diffrent climate here so I guess you wouldnt get too cold :naughty

havent you seen the Top gear show where they visit Iceland wit Audi TT, 350Z and the Crossfire?

later guys