My new toy

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
hcca
Enthusiast king

My new toy

Post by hcca »

It's still Starion-related as there's one parked in front of it :)

Yay.. reliability!
rosco
Big Dorifto

Post by rosco »

Reliability? I thought there were heaps of dramas with the BA XR6T?
rosco
Big Dorifto

Post by rosco »

nice ride tho
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Under warranty till 2009 and fully insured so I don't care :) I haven't heard of any real problems though.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Hope your handbrake works!!!! Don't wanna damage the staz.

Niiiicee

This is what Rosco mentioned. Normal media beat up about one pissed off owner out of howver many happy ones.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index ... t&id=12797
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I've read that article.. basically a whingy owner who was pissed that his car was no longer boosting beyond what it was supposed to (like that's bad.. 240kw is still damn fast).
Dr-X
[P] Plates

Post by Dr-X »

AWESOME. Good choice in cars. That article is such crap :roll: The cars were overboosting because of a fault, which could have compromised the integrity of the engine. Ford fixed the fault, and people are angry about it :roll: It's not like FoMoCo sits there thinking 'what sneaky thing can we do next to make peoples cars slower just for the heck of it'.

Very nice car.

edit: Quote from the article:

"There seems to be some confusion between dealers and customers and some confusion about the term 'overboosting'. Basically the cars weren't 'overboosting', but the overboost protection mechanism, where the computer senses the potential for overboosting happening, was kicking in too early and that has been changed to better protect the car.

The recalibration has fixed the problem with hesitation, but it has not changed the power output of the car.

There has been no change to the turbo boost settings or calibration as a part of the PCM software upgrade that would affect power and torque of normal engine operation."
1JZGTE
[P] Plates

Post by 1JZGTE »

congratulations must have similar taste iv'e owned one for nearly 12 months had to have my waterpump replaced when it was about 2 months old :x so just keep an eye on the fluid levels apart from that a hell of a lot more reliable than my staz :D
when the clutch pops the bullshit stops!!!
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

Don't take this the wrong way , but I hope it's a series 2. Our company has 12 BA falcons , and last thursday , 5 of them did not start in the morning. IMO , they are shitboxes and poor build quality (ps , all 12 cars have rust , too , check the boot hinges !!!)

We have worn out a track going to the ford service people (different service centres have been tried) , everything from water pumps , steering racks , bent rotors ... the list goes on.

We will never buy ford again !!!
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Our company has 12 BA falcons , and last thursday , 5 of them did not start in the morning
On one day? Seems like you're either horribly unlucky or someone's playing silly buggers.

We've owned heaps of Fords - at least one of every series right back to the XF days.. never had a single problem. There's always problems (or whingers - not suggesting you are one :)) no matter what car or brand it is. At the end of the day, it's 1000 times more reliable than the Starion and it's a hell of a lot faster too. I can't pick any faults with it - it's absolutely immaculate.

And as I said, it's under warranty till 2009 so I really don't care :)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

hcca wrote:
Our company has 12 BA falcons , and last thursday , 5 of them did not start in the morning
On one day? Seems like you're either horribly unlucky or someone's playing silly buggers.

We've owned heaps of Fords - at least one of every series right back to the XF days.. never had a single problem. There's always problems (or whingers - not suggesting you are one :)) no matter what car or brand it is. At the end of the day, it's 1000 times more reliable than the Starion and it's a hell of a lot faster too. I can't pick any faults with it - it's absolutely immaculate.

And as I said, it's under warranty till 2009 so I really don't care :)
Hmmm... a lot of excess weight there haha. My JA's done 260,000 Km? I would say reliabilty has more to do with who is looking after the car :)
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

never had reliability issues with my Starion, ive had it for about 4 - 5 years.
even before I changed the rings , recond the turbo and changed the cluch, it was still reliable.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I don't disagree that a -good- Starion can be reliable.. my silver Starion suffers badly from having a mix of good and bad bits and hence it's killed itself multiple times over the last year (usually minor things, but enough to class the car as not-trustworthy :))
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Re: Reliabilty - The Starion fired up first click after sitting for almost 3 months. Sure the battery had to be charged first, but you can't blame the car for that!

Dibs on a ride when I next see you.
I take it the silver JA will be for sale soon? Unless you have a need for 3 cars?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Most of my problems in the silver Staz were related to the alternator more than anything else - First alternator got killed by p/s fluid, replacement alternator had a blown diode (but was removed/refitted 3 times before this was diagnosed), third alternator was fine until the regulator died.. if it wasn't for all that, it would have been quite reliable :)

Yes, it will be for sale soon (I definitely don't need 3 cars!) - fixing timing and replacing brake pads this weekend, after that it will be for sale if anyone's interested. All funds go towards teh 2jz :)