Car wont start and randomly stalls

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Drift
[L] Plates

Car wont start and randomly stalls

Post by Drift »

OMG SO MANY PROBLEMS

Last night i was driving for a while and car was running fine apart from the random stalling after redlining it for a bit.

Then after parking at mcdonalds for 5 minutes the car wouldnt start. I got a wierd clicking noise from the engine for a bit then it just stopped all together.

Anybody know if this is the starter motor problem?

In case its related my car blew out a lot of oil yesterday all over the turbo and top of engine. Not sure where it came from...

Thanks a lot for any help.

:(
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Firstly, you did put more oil in it, right?

Also have you got it started since? or will it not start at all? tried jump-starting with another car?

The click noise is commonly caused by a near flat battery - so just ruling that one out before making any other suggestions.

PS - sounds like your car needs some TLC, Id take it easy
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Glynn
Dorifto!

Post by Glynn »

what accessory loads are you running? (amps etc.)
when the battery is excesivly loaded it will drop voltage, the computer starts to shut down when the voltage gets to low. and it will tend to miss fire and stall particualarly when running at a constant rpm. yeah that clicking noise would be your starter solenoid. sometimes they seize up with heat and need to be given a knock with a softfaced hammer. but sounds like your battery man like SpidersWeb said.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Re: Car wont start and randomly stalls

Post by Darkelf »

Drift wrote:OMG SO MANY PROBLEMS

Last night i was driving for a while and car was running fine apart from the random stalling after redlining it for a bit.

:(
Ever thought that the car might know you are abusing it! :D

I believe there is an engine/fuel cut out above the redline set at 6.5/7k. This is probably the cause of the stalling, no fuel.

Does it do it when not redlining? No? Then the problem is your driving her too hard! Just my opinion tho. :)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

My car frequently fails to start when its hot, I think its the starter-motor getting to hot and it cant flick out the gear to engage on the flywheel and supply the current to the starter. Letting it cool down works.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

I had that problem too, I cleaned the battery terminals, got some new stainless steel bolts pulled the originals off & replaced both of them, it was pretty gummy in there, starting a lot better now..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

ProZac wrote:My car frequently fails to start when its hot, I think its the starter-motor getting to hot and it cant flick out the gear to engage on the flywheel and supply the current to the starter. Letting it cool down works.
This happened to a friends car, smacking the starter with a hammer got it going :wink:

As the metal expands underheat it'd probably make sense if it hasn't been properly oiled
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Is it a JB onwards? neon crossing had a problem with stalling and not starting due to faulty knock sensor? We changed it and now works a treat.

He used to have to give it a wack when it stopped :wtf:
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
Drift
[L] Plates

Post by Drift »

After belting the starter motor for a couple hours i found out my battery was completely flat resulting in no spark. Just recharged it and its starting fine now. Just waiting to find out if alternator is also gonna need replacing. Thanks for your help everyone
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Good as Drift

My flatmate had the same thing yesterday, he was freaking out. Hooked his battery to the charger, and all was well.

If your alternator is failing, the red battery lamp will come on inside the car.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Drift wrote:After belting the starter motor for a couple hours i found out my battery was completely flat resulting in no spark.
Oh dear, at least it's nothing mayjor
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Glynn
Dorifto!

Post by Glynn »

easy way to check if your alternator is rooted is to connect a mutlimeter arcoss the battery terminals while the engine is running there should be from ~13 to 14.7 volts. if there isn't, rev the engine and hold it at 2000 - 2500 rpm if the voltage is still under 14.7 volts then chances are it's rooted. a common problem is that the brush blocks wear. also power steering fluid can drip down and destroy the stator. spary some wd40 on the alternator, restart and test again.