Help please... Turbo blew out lots of oil

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Drift
[L] Plates

Help please... Turbo blew out lots of oil

Post by Drift »

Hi.. today after giving my car a bit of a thrashing in the rain i opened the bonnet to find oil all over the turbo and its surroundings.
The turbo still boosts fine.
Does anybody know what has happened.
Is it the oil seal in the turbo?
Thanks for any help
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

is the dipstick firmly in place? Not a joke, blowby can make it pop and throw oil everywhere if its worn. Never heard it happen on a Starion though.

Just one idea for the pile.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Are you sure it is definately out of the turbo? My car would blow the dipstick out and then oil would fly out from there all over the turbo. likely to be blocked PVC valve? mine was cleared out or maybe a new one fitted. Then I got a compression spring (pulls together) to keep tension on the dipstick. Haven't had the problem since.

This is cheap to fix. If it your turbo then $$$$ comes into play. I just forked out $2300 to get my T04-E recon :cry: Took them like 2 and a half weeks to do it as well :x
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Change that, I have heard of a Starion doing it. Turns out it happened to GADGET.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Drift
[L] Plates

Post by Drift »

Oh yeah the dipstick was about 2 inches higher than it should of been... Thanks im pretty sure you are right.

:oops:
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Drift wrote:Oh yeah the dipstick was about 2 inches higher than it should of been... Thanks im pretty sure you are right.

:oops:
That happened on my white car before I had the engine rebuilt - turned out the ringlands were cracked (they came out in little bits), which pressurised the sump, which blew the dipstick and oil out all over the place. :x
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

GADGET wrote: I just forked out $2300 to get my T04-E recon :cry: Took them like 2 and a half weeks to do it as well :x
&#$@! i was quoted $400 NZD for a tc-05 reco how can yours be that much more?
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

cause a t04 is much much better than a tc05?

:)

i must say since i bought my staz with a recon tc05, im very impressed with the lag (or lack of) compared to my recon tc06.
gordonspec® racing
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

GADGET wrote: This is cheap to fix. If it your turbo then $$$$ comes into play. I just forked out $2300 to get my T04-E recon :cry: Took them like 2 and a half weeks to do it as well :x
Why didnt you just buy a new turbo? Would have been cheaper.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

logik wrote:cause a t04 is much much better than a tc05?

:)

i must say since i bought my staz with a recon tc05, im very impressed with the lag (or lack of) compared to my recon tc06.
It's the same thing though just bigger parts.. right?