Stage 3 cam

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Stage 3 cam

Post by Jesusdroveawestfield »

I have purchased a stage 3 cam and adjustable cam wheel from RPM and will be getting Ron to install both maybe next week or the week after depending on how busy he is.
Previous dyno figure was 198hp atw with a dramatic drop off of power at around 4500. Charlie and I both assume this is due to the standard cam as hid has basicly the same modifications and his power drops off exactly the same. As this power was being made relatively low in the rev range it will be interesting to see the new dyno figures. The other addition since last dyno was the water/methanol injection and a new 3 inch exhaust. As this will allow a much greater advance in the timing ( water that is ) I would expect a good 220kw at the engine so we will see in the next month or so.
At the moment with around 198kw at the engine it and 350nm of torque
( this is at the wheels is this figure different at the engine as well ? ) It is great to drive so should be amazing up high with the new mods. I do however expect there to be a significant drop off in low end power. We will see.
I wouldnt want to belong to any club that would have me as a member
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

What the hell is a stage 3 cam Daz!?

I hate that terminology. It's what bogans use to brag about their engines internals when they have no idea whats in there.

"yeah stage 3 cam mate, fully sick."

Do you have the specs of the Cam Daz?
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

You bought a what from who? :?:
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

It is the exact same cam as yours, Cookie.

So know you can brag to your mates, too :D:D:D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Stage 3 cam from Camtech and an adjustable vernier cam wheel from RPW.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Thanks NXTIME. By the way, with that cam my engine hit a power wall at 4500rpm... so Im not 100% certain that the cam will fix your problem.

Still a worthwhile addition though.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

what engine mods do you have already to get 198 hp at 4500. :?:

mine made 156 hp@4200 then dropped off rapidly at 4500rpm :?

i will be interseted to see what happends to your power curve when you get it tuned keep us posted :)

please let me know what mods you have :!:

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

But what was the reason that your engine hit that power wall, Cookie? Turbo and/or injectors wasn't it?

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Gee wizz

Take a chill pill. I have no idea what a stage 3 cam is. All I know is that it is exactly the same as your cams spec. I merely called it a stage 3 cam because that is what it is ordered as. Stage 1, 2,3 or 4
Each stage has specific uses eg street, modified, highly modified and race. For somebody like myself who has no idea what lifts and durations mean than I am glad they call them by stages. Flappa I spoke to your Dad re this cam during the week. Seeing as how it is the same spec as Cookies I went ahead and ordered it. They do suggest that the vernier cam wheel is a must with this profile. I have also ordered new valve springs. A bogan I am not and I certainly do not give two hoots about trying to impress people with my cams specs. As for the question regarding what was done to my engine to get 198hp @ 4,500.
Ron built the engine, 8.5:1 forged pistons. Ported head, shafts removed, MPI, microtech, TD06 turbo and 3 inch exhaust. and around 20psi.
These gave it 198 which considering the modifications from standard was not that great although it is a 75% increase over standard. It was having trouble with detonation so the water inj should fix that.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

NXTIME wrote:But what was the reason that your engine hit that power wall, Cookie? Turbo and/or injectors wasn't it?
It wasn't injectors... the engine wasn't asking for anymore fuel. Possible could be turbo.. could be the manifold is too small.. could be the throttle body is mounted to to close to intake runner No.1 causing bad turbulance.

I'll be interested to see how your engine goes.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: Gee wizz

Post by Cookiemonster »

Jesusdroveastarion wrote:Take a chill pill. I have no idea what a stage 3 cam is. All I know is that it is exactly the same as your cams spec. I merely called it a stage 3 cam because that is what it is ordered as. Stage 1, 2,3 or 4
Each stage has specific uses eg street, modified, highly modified and race. For somebody like myself who has no idea what lifts and durations mean than I am glad they call them by stages. Flappa I spoke to your Dad re this cam during the week. Seeing as how it is the same spec as Cookies I went ahead and ordered it. They do suggest that the vernier cam wheel is a must with this profile. I have also ordered new valve springs. A bogan I am not and I certainly do not give two hoots about trying to impress people with my cams specs.
I wasn't have a go at you Daz. Just don't get in the habit off describing a cam in 'stages'. It is a meaningless term.

Who are you getting to dial in the cam for you?
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Cam

I know you werent having a go at me you are not that kind of bloke. I was just stating why I called it a stage 3.
Cookie could your powere drop off have been turbo ? were you using a TC06 at the time ? Was your head ported ? I would assume this would be able to flow plenty of power. The reason I am guessing cam or maybe L300 manifold is this. Take a wrx sti for example they make 200 plus without 3 inch exhausts and 3 inch intercooler piping. Surely 200kw +
would have to be possible using the L300 manifold ?
As I have already said it was making amazing power at 4,500 when he had to back the timing off, I am convinced that the injection will cure this and allow better power.
Jesusdroveawestfield
christian moderator

Re: Stage 3 cam

[
At the moment with around 198kw at the engine it and 350nm of torque
( this is at the wheels is this figure different at the engine as well ? ) It is great to drive so should be amazing up high with the new mods.
Any answers to this ?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

My head is still standard.. it has not been touched. I was still running a standard TC-06 at the time.

With the standard CAM the power continued to rise from idle to 6500rpm. I never hit a wall with it.

With this new CAM I hit that same maximum power but this time at 4500rpm. And this is where I hit the wall. Im confident the cam is acheing to make more power but there is something else holding the engine back.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

is the cam the problem? i dont know.

i have fitted the MPI, wolf ver4, garrett T28, + other bits and pieces. and my power drops of at 4500 as well, i have put it down to a bad flowing intercooler, which i am in the process of installing a new one.

visit www.pbase.com/image/25406963 for my dyno readout

I was going to fit a new cam as well, but now im hearing mixed reponses regarding the standard cam. :?

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine