tranny swap

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
heefner
Newcomer

tranny swap

Post by heefner »

Hi,
I'm new here but not to starions and conquest. I reside mostly over here at www.starquestclub.com but have decided to broaden my search. I'm looking to swap an 86.5-93 Toyota supra non turbo 5spd (w58) into my conquest (G54b 2.6liter) I'm making too much power for the stock tranny to hold with out eating the bearings. I have found a place www.rodshop.com in AU but can't get anymore info. No return replys. I have also tried to contact www.dellowauto.com I'm looking for either an adapter plate or a bellhousing adapter. If anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks!
Love the site. You guys have some of the nicest flatties I've ever seen.
-Kris
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

86.5? thats the sprinter look alike model with the next models popup front end isnt it? if it is i have been looking for ages for the name of that model!!!!!!!
1983 JA Staz
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Howdy Heefner, your first names not Hugh is it... rofl I had to do it.

Anyway. W58's are notoriously weak from what I hear and read but maybe that's just with stupid 1000hp Supra motors?

A friend is looking at making some plates to do what you are after, I just have to get off my butt and teach him how to drive cad or draw it for him. I can find out more, but in the meantime, perhaps somebody else has a source that can help out?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

G'day "Hugh"

Post by WANTSOM »

I'm running a Supra box behind my motor with a Dellow bellhousing. As far as I have been able to find out they still have the castings but make only to order (if at all).

I'd suggest sending a fax to both, you might find a better response than email enquiry. Rodshop would be your best bet, a little more up to date than Dellow which has been around a long while but appear to have grown a little 'tired' judging from my last visit there.

Good luck.

Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Rod isn't very good with e-mail. He tends to reply with "give me a call" :)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Rod does have the listing though :)

"AP 20 Toyota Supra 5 sp box to Mitsubishi 2.6 motor "
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Al - W58 is a bloody strong box. Turds on the Starion box.

Heefner - Dellow no longer make the custom bellhousings to suit Mitsis. CRS make an adapter plate that (I'm led to beleive) uses an aussie only 2.6 bellhousing, ie. you can get the plate but will also need the bellhousing shipped over (also will need the hydraulic clutch setup grafted onto it). I'd suggest getting up in the middle of the night and making a long distance phone call to CRS.

I made my own adapter but again I used the aussie only bellhousing. You may be able to do something similar with a bellhousing from an auto?? (provided they separate from the auto itself).

If you can get a box out of a JZA80 N/A supra it will be strongest. Last of the W58 series and various upgrades over earlier models. Externally very similar though.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
heefner
Newcomer

Post by heefner »

I already have a W58 in my posession so I'm going to stick with that. I jsut found out that the auto trans has a removable bell housing where the 5spd dosen't. We have an auto parts car so I'll have to pull the trans this weekend and see where I get with that.
Can anyone tell me the diff between the Aussie 2.6 and the US version trans ? I don't have a problem fabbing up a hydraulic clutch as I will have to do that with the auto bell housing also. Thanks for all your help.
Oh, one more request, I know its a long shot but would anyone be willing to call CRS on my behalf to see if any of this would be possible? Thanks agian guys.
Heefner.

Oh, and know my first name isn't Hugh and neither is my Dad's :wink:
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

The bellhousing I am referring to is not from a Starion. Comes from a sigma (Colt? in US) that used a borg warner 4/5 speed gearbox instead of the alloy case jap box. This was in a period in the 80s when cars made in Aus (but designed in japan) were required to have a percentage of aussie content. Hence we got awful gearboxes and diffs to replace the better jap stuff. These boxes used cable clutch arrgt instead of hydraulic. Hence bellhousing bolt pattern is the same but need the hydralic starion setup grafted on.

My 2c is that if you can make the US auto bellhousing work - make an adapter plate & I daresay your american pals will want them. If not check other mitsis with the 2.6 (Montero, D50 etc) for different removable bellhousings.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

hmm all sigmas we have owned have had jap boxes the only borg we got was given to us as a gearbox only.
1983 JA Staz
heefner
Newcomer

Post by heefner »

I just recieved an email from Dellow Auto a few hours ago stating that they made a bell housing for "the w58 to your engine" for $375 AUD which isn't a bad price. I just need to find out a few more details.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Well there you go. I rang Dellow 12 months ago enquiring about them. Response was that they were no longer making them and had none in stock, mumbled something about a broken mould, lack of interest etc. Thus I went to the hassle of making my own (which was relatively easy & cheaper in the long run). Quality customer service.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
heefner
Newcomer

Post by heefner »

I haven't heard back from Dellow but I did suck it up and call and spoke with Rod at the Rod Shop. They make a plate to adapt the removalbe Borg Warner bellhousing to the w58 gearbox. Can anyone confirm that the Borg Warner gear box will bolt up to the US 2.6 G54B block?? Thanks again for all your help.
-Heefner