Valve Train Noise

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
whitie
[L] Plates

Valve Train Noise

Post by whitie »

Hi,

I got a RAC check on a 1982 Mitsubisha Starion JA. The report came up stating there is some "valve train noise". I cant hear it when I drive or anything, but it is slightly audible when I listen close to the engine. I have been told that this could be due to pistons tending to slightly stick on old Mitsubisht motors. Is this true?

What are the main causes/reasons of valve train noise in Starions?

Thanks fellow enthusiasts....
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Re: Valve Train Noise

Post by Cookiemonster »

whitie wrote:Hi,

I got a RAC check on a 1982 Mitsubisha Starion JA. The report came up stating there is some "valve train noise". I cant hear it when I drive or anything, but it is slightly audible when I listen close to the engine. I have been told that this could be due to pistons tending to slightly stick on old Mitsubisht motors. Is this true?
Sounds dubious.
What are the main causes/reasons of valve train noise in Starions?
Tappets out of adjustment.
jono
I've been here before

valve train

Post by jono »

or maybe valve guides (loose as a goose)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I was told via MMC that some G63's experience a noise due to the hydrolic tensioners and air under the cambelt.

No idea how acurate that is, but thought Id throw it in.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

if your talking about tappet noise its pretty much unavoidable when cold i think.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

sometime the injectors make a very audible click noise at idle..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Tappet Noise

Post by Starion VR4 »

The noise thet most often is heard ( After you have checked correct clearance) is from worn rocker shafts... and rockers. The amount of cams we did for these engines and customers complain of noise afterward was common. The reason? most peolpe improve the lift, thereby moving the rocker past it's old wear point causing a loud clicking noise... Upon inspection this was usually the case ( A few spring coil bind problems) but replacing the rocker shafts with new units helped 90% of noise 100% was achieved with both rocker and shaft.

If you remove your rocker assemble from your engine, slide the rocker along shaft, the wear should be very visable, a Definate Step on shatf where rocker pivots.
PM me is photos of wear on shafts is required.... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.