Fusible Link

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Fusible Link

Post by StarionJD »

Hi Guys,

Started engine, put on headlights, all electrics stopped working. Traced to fusible link running off the +ve battery terminal.

Require the fusible link or suitable substitute. Diagrams only mention link but with no details. Any ideas?

Jack
Jako
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

They're getting hard to find these days! I had to buy new fusible link wire, and the terminals, and make my own.

Its a standard 'Red' old school fusible link. Hopefully an autoelectrical shop over there might still carry them?
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

If you can get new links then replace them all. Also, with a fine scredriver you can pop the male part out of the holder and give it a good clean with a small file.

If not (like me) I had to replace the lot with MAXI fuse holders. The one that feeds the injection (marked ECI) I replaced with a standard blade fuse holder as MAXI fuses only go down to 20A rating.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

I have one here mate, $20 express posted :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

is there anything wrong with replacing them with standard fuses anyway?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Not really, if u could find out what the wire is rated at but I don't know how you would find that out..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Post by StarionJD »

redzone wrote:I have one here mate, $20 express posted :)
PM sent
Jako
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

Fusible Link

Post by StarionJD »

thrash wrote:is there anything wrong with replacing them with standard fuses anyway?
Have seen a JA with a nicely done insulated 20A spade fuse assy as the fusible link. Don't think it was factory standard.
Jako
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

redzone wrote:Not really, if u could find out what the wire is rated at but I don't know how you would find that out..
would it be in the workshop manual I wonder? An auto electrician may also be able to determine the correct size based on diameter etc?

It's easier to find, carry and replace fuses, so I think it'd be a worthwhile mod, no?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

A long time ago I had 1 fusible link go, and the auto elec completely replaced all the fusible links with individual wires and its a shit storm now. I need to get someone to completely fix it now. I hid them all inside the guard for now because its messy as. But yeah, it can be done.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Found time to dig out the electrical wiring supplement factory mitsy service manual.

Sorry for the quality. One day when I get time I'll properly scan the thing and upload it, has full wiring diagrams for all european market and export 1986 starions, including australian ones.

ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The difference between a fusible link and a fuse is subtle, but does exist. Fusible links, as you'll notice, have a really high fusing current in relation to their max carrying current. They're basically a 'slow-blow' fuse. Means you can draw more than their rated current for a short period. Fusible links are used to protect wiring harnesses, whereas fuses are used to protect actual devices.

Best bet for replacing the main fusible link would be to hit up a wreckers and get a battery terminal that has a more modern style plug in type integrated into it.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You could also try an electronic shop to source slow blow fuses
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

That's why I used MAXI fuses as they are a slower blow, and if one goes I can get them from any auto shop. All 90s onwards cars used maxi style fuses,or cartridge style.

I can get the fuse ratings off my car for each link if need be. I calculated them based on what is on each circuit. I blew the lighting one so upped it one rating and its been fine since. I carry a few spares just in case as I've been on the cautious size with ratings.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body