restore to factory power?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Ashgan
I like starions more

restore to factory power?

Post by Ashgan »

Hey guys,
Just wondering what steps should i take to get my staz purring back the way it should? Haven't had a legit service since i got her but i've been looking after the general things, spark plugs/oil+filter/belts...

In terms of doing the timing, should i just do an adjustment or is there a timing chain i should look at getting replaced? How important are the points to smooth running?

And anything else that i might need to look at.

-Ash
Friends call me Ashgan or Ash... But you can call me failchanic. If there's a routine maintenance job that exists on a starion, then chances are i've failed at it.

First attempt fails include:
-Changing indicator light
-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

The manual in the technical section should tell you how to change the timing 'belt'. Then you will need a timing gun, aim it at the top of your main pulley and you should see the marking light up and indicate on your engines front cover timing marks what your timing is set to. Engine should be running :( .
Someone else can explain it better and tell you the desired timing, was it +5?

:beer
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Yes SK, 5 degrees. But importantly its before Top Dead Centre (plus or minus 2 degrees). You want to set this with your vac advance line off the dizzy and at 800 rpm (plus or minus 50 revs to be anal about it).
Might want to adjust your valve clearances as well.

Not wanting to sound like a smart arse but based on your profile sig, if I was you and that's for real I'd be inclined to take it into someone to sort all this for you. :)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Ashgan
I like starions more

Post by Ashgan »

Was just used to working on dato's before the staz... things like my spark plug remover not fitting into to staz, new light globes not working because of rust in the fittings, struts refusing to come out, pwr steering belt adjustment done like a cave man, air intake hose being so hard that it snaps at the turbo when i try to open the airbox... just shit i didn't expect.
Friends call me Ashgan or Ash... But you can call me failchanic. If there's a routine maintenance job that exists on a starion, then chances are i've failed at it.

First attempt fails include:
-Changing indicator light
-Changing spark plugs
-Changing belts
-Changing airfilter
-Changing oil
-Removing rear strut
-Replacing front strut