New Motor

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

OLD FART wrote:Cheater the tc Head is quite a lot heavier than the sohc so you will need to weigh the new combo to measure any reduction in kg's
yer I know I have a few laying around but the 4g61/63 is replacing a 4g54
the short motors are quite i bit lighter as you know
as i said though by the time you add an intercooler piping and turbo the weight will be about the same
most of the weight can be kept back in the engine bay though
the intercooler will fit inside the engine bay in front of the radiator
I have the radiator moved about 110 mm back with a *54 donk by the look of it I should be able to move it back more with the smaller motor leaving plenty of room for ducting
I was planing on plumbing the water out the front of the head and removing the cas and doing a pickup for the ecu on the front to get the eng back as far as poss
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

cheater u may want to look at the RVR front mounted C.A.S. :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

redzone wrote:cheater u may want to look at the RVR front mounted C.A.S. :beer
I have one here ( not mine ) but I have looked at it and the mounts are on other t/c heads including the 4g67 head I was going to use
It depends on the after market ecu and it would be nice to fit up some vernier cam wheels - if it can be set up easy other wise I'll just make up a chopper wheel to suit
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

OLD FART wrote:Well Daves had the JB 4 a week now had a few minor probs but all sorted now He has also fixed the slow electric window and he assures me that all being well I can pick it up nxt Wednesday so being ever the optimist have booked my bus seat back to Maroochydoore to drive it back to Brissie
Then I intend to run it in 4 app 600 klicks ( ON PENRITE RUNNING IN OIL )then change the oil & filter & fill it up with Amsoil racing synthetic oil ( Daves putting Amsoil in the g/box when he installs the rebuilt cyroed box behind the Jim Berry solid centre Raceclutch (2300 lb clamp ) THEN IT'S OFF TO MY DYNO TUNER :D
This all has to be done in time for the Bob Jane 150 Maryborough Sprints at the end of June :D
Drove it home from Redzones last nite :D
Only 400 k's to go then off to the dyno it idles very lumpy but feels like it's keen to go hard
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

OLD Fart, get U & yr car down here 2ght..... I feel a road trip coming on!!!!! :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
oldfart
Newcomer

Post by oldfart »

She been run in and it's off 2 b tuned on Sat week can hardly wait :)
Hope to get a forum member 2 do a video so you can hear it and see who was nearest to the correct guess on the hp atw numbers @ 16psi boost :D
May get it tuned at 20 psi as well :D
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

326HP, BTW Gonzo has finished my Exhaust :D

oldfart
Newcomer

Post by oldfart »

OLD FART wrote:
scorpyy wrote:
coop1er wrote:Well if you are using the same head, cam, turbo and exhaust etc at the same pressure then maximum power probably wont go up by much. I hope I'm wrong though :). Naturally power at lower revs will be up though.
Correct. Though HP per cubic inch will be down so reliability will be better also.
Well after it's been run in & tuned it will definately be interesting to see the result as we will be comparing"apples with apples". I don't think this kind of testing / development has been done before ( correct me if i'm wrong ) and I guess the final power will be goverened by the amount of air the head can flow .
thanks for all your replies & I ( someone who can ) will post the dyno sheet . I am hoping to get app 330 hp atw but with more punch out of corners
I have another cam that has been specially ground to suit the stroker so if we don't get enough grunt then it will be installed & retuned but didn't want to install it straight away as there would not have been a direct comparison of any improvment by simply ??? changeing the stroke / capacity to 2322cc

PS Car goes to Redzones tomorrow Dave hope you've polished up the spanners and are raring to go :D :beer
Fryman
I dont have my L plates

Post by Fryman »

thats freegin awesome :)
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Goes to my dyno tuner tomorrow so hope to let u know the results nxt week
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Goes to my dyno tuner tomorrow so hope to let u know the results nxt week
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

So do we have a HP figure yet? :wtf:

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Starion VR4 wrote:So do we have a HP figure yet? :wtf:
Be Patient Derek it's going there today . Will keep u informed of progress
Lots of drama with the Kit JA first it was the leaky injector then the boost control had been wired in arse about by Gazzas auto sparkie then we had a dash back up the M 1 to get some octane booster while Peter rewired the boost controller and the final straw was when every thing was running like a swiss watch and looking like 330 atw and then to cap it all the dammed turbo/manifold gasket blows :x :( :wtf:

I was supposed to leave my JB there and Gary was to take me home in the Kit car Well I guess all you fellow Starion owners know about the best laid plans gone wrong S#%t happens Left home 9am back home 9.30pm :( Wot a day
Last edited by OLD FART on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Just had a call from my dyno guy .Says he has located the gremlins in wiring .It was shorting under the dash .Says it's on dyno now so hope to know the results in the morning ( this waiting is worse than waiting 4 ones bub to make an appearance )
Hopefully its some serious numbers .He wants it back after the Sprints at Maryborough to do some fine tuning .He wants to know how well the initial tune goes on the road in traffic & on h/way
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Starion VR4 wrote:So do we have a HP figure yet? :wtf:
315 atw with wheelspin at 135 klicks in 4th gear
Tuner says i need to get harder tyres as the semi slicks are getting overheated and losing grip
Says that it's making at least 330 hp and there has been a "massive increase in the spool up and torque" and it's going back nxt week for fine tuning
It pins me back in the seat now :D :D :D
All of this was not without some further drama namely the copper line to the mechanical oil gauge cried enough during one run & lost app 1/2litre of oil but luckily it was seen in time so it was plugged off and the mess cleaned up b 4 tuning resumed
I always slightly overfill the sump to allow 4 the higher cornering forces at the track
The joys of owning a Starion :( :) :D
I'M off to take up croket or lawn bowls :D
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63