L300 van

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

i have a question.

we started doing this conversion last weekend, vr4 into the l300 van.

but we've run into a little problem.

the gearbox mounts up to the vr4 motor no problem, but we're having issues with the clutch and flywheel.

i need to find a flywheel that suits the vr4 (6 bolt) that'll work with my narrow block gearbox as the vr4 flywheel is too small.

can anyone help? the gearbox is 23 spline (same as the starion isnt it?) so i guess a simple answer would be to put the starion fly and clutch in the car - but would that fit in the narrow gearbox?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

mmmmm, don't know, but I do have a old flywheel & clutch U can buy to try, return if it doesn't fit.. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

what about the old van flywheel?? your van would be a narrow block obviously, with a 6 bolt flywheel originally yes?? or was it a late van with a 7 bolt?? if u cant use the original van flywheel, use a 2LT sigma/scorpion flywheel, 4G52 engine, that should be the right diameter and 6 bolt, right offset too i believe. but check it out anyways! :beer
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

ok the gearbox is a narrow bolt, but the engine it came with originally was a 7 bolt. we've picked up an earlier 6 bolt l300 flywheel and will see if it'll fit onto the vr4 and work with the starter motor. failing that we'll try the sigma/scorpion flywheel as suggested.

while on the topic of l300 gearboxes - does anyone know how strong it is? i thought i saw somewhere on here that it's any upgrade for starions?

what about the diff as well? i'd really like to go lsd - any suggestions?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Re LSD TRY 4 BY 4 WRECKERS 2 C IF THEY HAVE N E 4WD EXPRESS VANS
U WILL NEED 2 B LUCKY AS THEY R AS RARE AS ROCKING HORSE POO
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

2lturbs wrote:this guy i know has a 1600 turbo motor the motor is out of the 4x4 mirages in japan its all stock and it beats rexys id do that
i love this comment what sort of rexy's ones that are ashamed of racing something like that rofl i dought it mate very much :wtf:
compressor
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by compressor »

2lturbs wrote:his bolted straight in its all simple it evan had a front mount call up jap places because most people dont want the 1600 turbo they would rather go vr4 but they go just as good
no way
1600 as good as vr4 man your tripping
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

so is the L300 gearbox strong enough to cop the abuse of a lightly modified vr4? ie 200kw atw?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i know for a fact a starion box and a scorpion box will handle that, so i'd say that a van box will. just run good quality gear oil, like castrol syntrans.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
vanman
[L] Plates

Post by vanman »

cool.

i'm going with the redline shockproof light in the box. i figured the shockproof will help it handle the power if there were any problems.