Turbo question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

logik wrote:to be brutally honest i dont see the point in a big expensive ebc, just a decent manual boost controller will be fine. i've seen some ebc's costing over $500, id rather just pay the $50 and get out and wind the thing up/down instead of wasting money.

you probably wont even notice the 'curve' as you call it, just hold your foot down and enjoy the boost
I got a Hybrid EBC for $220 new in original packaging :) does the same job and comes with everything you need. Doesn't have a fancy blue screen LCD readout or any of that, but its more accurate than a bleed valve and less likely to have problems with boost spikes.

To answer GustiX question, some manual boost controllers attempt to do that anyway. Electronic ones do it for sure, they dont open the wastegate until just before its needed, which reduces lag by forcing all of the exhaust through the turbine until the desired setting is reached.

I know on my Hybrid I dont have any settings to determine how early it opens, I'm hoping it learns. The more advanced units definately learn and can be adjusted manually. Cost depends on how many features you want.

I wont be installing mine for a while, as I dont think my engine would appreciate more boost at the moment. Its running great, but those poor piston rings have had a long life.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

i have a screw type, for the 2 times i drove the car before it was smashed it was a good idea. also having the boost gauge in cabin helps.

i tell ya what, you really notice the difference between 8psi and 1 bar :S
1983 JA Staz
SOWTZ
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by SOWTZ »

I got a bleed valve, works a treat. Cost $50 or so all up. It’s in the engine bay so I don’t fiddle with it to much. Once you got it worked out its great!
I have a car. I use it to drive to work, to drive to work I need petrol, petrol cost money, I must work to make this money… it’s a vicious cycle!
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

errr... there are some very interesting threads/results on the u.s. mitsu 4g63 dohc forums, concerning 'knockoff' evo gt turbo. They're not all equal and seem to be holding up well so far

u can get rock steady boost control from low cost $20 'ball & spring' type manual boost controllers. They sell/use 'em on starquestclub.
If you want to switch lo/hi, use 2 of em with a free junkyard vacuum solenoid.