carby to efi?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

Andrew_AWR
[P] Plates

Post by Andrew_AWR »

Look they did make a two door sigma!!! lol

Thats a very non-sexual looking engine bay! lol

Tell me they didnt release them from factory like that?

Andrew
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Andrew_AWR wrote:Look they did make a two door sigma!!! lol
Err, yeah it's called a scorpion.
Andrew_AWR
[P] Plates

Post by Andrew_AWR »

flappa wrote:
Andrew_AWR wrote:Look they did make a two door sigma!!! lol
Err, yeah it's called a scorpion.
Haha thats a good point....i didnt think of that. But still, a two door sigma is what that one in the pics would basicallybe.

Andrew
jameshey_1
I've been here before

Post by jameshey_1 »

sif u didnt fall for it ur like never seen that before send us some pics any who technically it is carby eci rofl
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

james,

i was referring to pics such as the ones that cusscuss posted. im fairly sure that yours didnt have one of those, hence the request for pics.

again, you need some increase in your maturity levels if you want to be treated seriously here

i would love to hear you're opinion james, on how it is "technically a carby eci"
Last edited by fr335tyl3r on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Andrew_AWR
[P] Plates

Post by Andrew_AWR »

No technically its not carby at all.

Its called throttle body injection. Does have a few other names as well. And other than looking like a carby, its very very different.

However to steer this back on topic...to convert it to MPI, i know that the magna intake manufolds will bolt onto the 2.6...do they work on the 4G63 as well?

If so, this manufold will then need to be adapted as u will need the intercooler intake going into it, so itll require replacing the intercooler piping as well.

My question to everyone though is unless changing the ECU (hence allowing for bigger boost and more fuel)....would this really be an advantageous mod?

Andrew
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Andrew,

From my research on the topic, there are a number of benefits to be had from changing to MPI on the starion. First and foremost is the ability to get rid of the AFM and giving the user more control over the car.

The ability to quickly change idle settings, better fuel injection for better low down response, and the ability to run a multiple coil setup will prove quite useful in a track car or a person trying for a high power application car.

Also, it would get rid of a lot of the little gremlins that tend to lurk around the standard injection and make things run oddly for no obvious reason (there of course is a reason, but when the injection system is 20 years old, a newer system is obviously going to have some advantages...otherwise the manufacturers wouldnt have changed).

So in short, it makes the car a lot easier to run and maintain cause the driver and tuner will know exactly what is going on with the car, as well as allowing for higher power applications usefull for track and street :)
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
Andrew_AWR
[P] Plates

Post by Andrew_AWR »

Ah ok thanks for that mate :)

i had always wondered. I know that adam (widebody_woody) needs to do it for his car as the new ecu and turbo require more fuel for bigger boost...and it needs MPI to do it and we have chatted about it a lot...but i often wondered if it had other advantages.

Adding little bits and pieces of knowledge is always useful ;)

Andrew