How do you pronounce Starion?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.

How do you pronounce Starion?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:57 pm

STAH-RI-ON (STAH like in Star)
29%
STA-REE-ON (Rhymes with stallion)
71%

Total votes: 24

Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Glenjo owns a starion with a 2.6 in it, it has "Stallion" markings on the back
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

I believe that if you directly translate the japanese characters it spells STAR LYON :)

The americans pronounce it strange: CONN KWEST :wtf:
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Yes. Japs cant say "L" I did japanese at school and any word with L in it got turned to R. my name went from Michael to Maiikuru.
So the Li part of Stallion gets turned into Ri to make Starion.

It seems weird dont it. How hard is it to say L?

U know you want to try it now. :)
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

MelbStazz wrote:i heard that the starion came from japlish, when they tried to say "stallion" it came out as "starion".
that's what i remember reading ages ago.
Am i even close??? i have seen some starions kicking around with stallion markings.
The trading post ad that was about my car from the previous owner stated that it was a "STALLION", i get there and it's definately a starion. I even kept the ad for a bit of a laugh. rofl
makes sense, think about it, they called their smaller hatch the "colt" or smaller type of horse, so it follows that Starion was Stallion as in more powerful 'horse'
:wink:
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

If you look in those archived magazines you see it says

"Starion is actually a play on words, and has nothing to do with a Japanese male horse"

dated 1984 I think.

The Stallion badge wont be factory, it will be a modification. Much like I plan on changing my Galant badge to read 'GoGoLant' and there is many people who change 'MITSUBISHI' to 'ITSTHSHIT'.

If Stallion became starion - then Galant would be Garant - it has nothing to do with a horse :glare:
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

If you look in those archived magazines you see it says

"Starion is actually a play on words, and has nothing to do with a Japanese male horse"

dated 1984 I think.

The Stallion badge wont be factory, it will be a modification. Much like I plan on changing my Galant badge to read 'GoGoLant' and there is many people who change 'MITSUBISHI' to 'ITSTHSHIT'.

If Stallion became starion - then Galant would be Garant - it has nothing to do with a horse :glare: Not to mention Colt, Lancer, Delica Van, L300, L200.

Although this site challenges me, and says Im wrong, and I might beleive it. Its also hilarious what Pajero is in spanish.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/starion.asp
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

SpidersWeb wrote:If you look in those archived magazines you see it says

dated 1984 I think.

If Stallion became starion - then Galant would be Garant - it has nothing to do with a horse :glare: Not to mention Colt, Lancer, Delica Van, L300, L200.

Although this site challenges me, and says Im wrong, and I might beleive it. Its also hilarious what Pajero is in spanish.

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/starion.asp
I agree with SpidersWeb above post. Starion is spelt "Star Lyon" in Japlish translations.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Post by glutonous gloop »

Like Al I tend to pronounce it as just "Starion", "Delorean" to airheads but mainly just "piece of shite"
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I have also heard that it is a joining of the words "Star of Orion"
But i like the horse thing better :)
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Paradoxx wrote:I have also heard that it is a joining of the words "Star of Orion"
I think that's their cop out excuse. That was the official word I think, I have an old promo booklet that says that.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Hello all.

After a week of intense and spirited debate, it is now time to give you the answer. The correct way to pronounce "Starion" is:

STA-REE-ON (Rhymes with stallion)

70% of respondents chose the correct answer. It should be noted than anyone heard pronouncing "Starion" in any other way is to be beaten repeatedly about the throat and face with a hammer or a sock stuffed with pool balls. Furthermore, the text that appears under the name of these individuals in forum posts will be changed to "I cannot pronounce Starion properly".

This matter is now considered closed, and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Warm Regards,

jrod82
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

jrod82 wrote:Warm Regards,
rofl oh yeh... full of compassion that post was! lol
_

Post by Cookiemonster »

STAH-RI-ON.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Im actually going to have to publicly agree with Cookie on this one. I consider myself an educated, refined indivdual, so STAH-RI-ON it is.

you bitch.

:Þ.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

ProZac wrote: I consider myself an educated, refined indivdual, so STAH-RI-ON it is.

i got pulled over the other night and the cop asked what it was... strange i thought, it has the starion sticker on the back and everything... thing is, its registered as a 'Mitsubishi Misc' !!!!!

so even the moron who imported it didnt know how to spell starion, let alone pronounce it....
oz, here i come....