Rev limit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

i remembered watching something once and the were saying with car engines that its not that hard to make them rev but the trick is getting power out of the extra revs
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I was thinking of clarifying my question earlier, but I held back because everyone had all these interesting thoughts to input, and so I figure I'd let the info flow a bit and learn :beer

When I was initially asking, my thoughts were simple. How do I determine the highest rpm I can get my motor to SAFELY, and how would I go about increasing that limit, safely again, but without completely changing everything in the engine?

Knowledge and brainwork can save money :) Then that got me thinking to.. I wonder how factory engineers determine the safe working rpm of a motor.. considering that some engines die in the arse at 6k while others freely spin to 9k..

So I suppose another way to ask the question would be.. does anyone know someone who has tried to spin their 4g63s to, say, 10k rpm.. how long before the motor burst, and what broke first? :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

smodgee wrote: the trick is getting power out of the extra revs
that's not hard at all! That's what turbos are for lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

turbos won't "make" a motor breathe. Boost will build up in the intake tract, that's all.
Revving is a waste of time imo. No need.
Quickest street starquest (2.6) gone mid 10s, redline ~6300rpm/stock cam. Makes a far more reliable motor also. Combination makes a winner, not rpms

We have corolla club member take their 4AG motors to 11,000rpm. Higher failure rate and they ET no quicker than their counterparts, with moreconvetional builds & 8000rpm redline
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^ agree totally with Quest. Rev's aint everything. A useable power band (and changing gear at the right revs to keep you in that power band) is the way to go. Lots of revs just stress a motor for now real gain.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I know.. not saying I will do it.. just asking because I wanted to learn :)
quest wrote: