Strengthening a Starion gearbox?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

If you want to do the Supra thing email Coltspeed. They can organise a bellhousing specifically for hydraulic in either wide or narrow pattern.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

bill hincher from projectzerog.com alreadsy produces very nice cast bell housings for narrow blocks to w58 r154 t56 and working on a th350
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Ok guys, on the weekend I just broke my second Starion gearbox (during qualifying at Oran Park), so the intensity of my search for a stronger box has just increased signficantly.

For an immediate fix, I have a couple of starion gearboxes lined up (and I'll just have to be gentle with them!), but I really need to look at getting something more permanent pretty soon.

So, I'm after your opinion on what is the best solution here. Keep in mind that I need to do this on a reasonably modest budget.

The Supra conversion seems to be the most simple solution, I'll need a conversion plate, the gearbox and a modified tailshaft. A couple of questions though...

1. How does the position of the shifter compare with the starion box?
2. Can I keep the current clutch/flywheel?
3. Which Supra gearbox is the best / strongest?

Another concern is the physical size of it - there's really not a lot of spare room in the tunnel right now and the dump pipe is painfully close to the starion gearbox's bellhousing already.

Any help would be appreciated.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I am running the Supra W58 box so to directly answer your questions -

1. Sits about 1-2 inches forward of your Starion position. Not uncomfortable for reach. The Starion boot and cover still fit, just reverse them 180 degrees. Note you can also get different length extension housings to move the shifter forwards and backwards. Maybe Dellow Automotive would be a good starting point to contact. They have lots of Supra swap kits available. You might also need an adjustable slave cylinder rod (use the Starion slave cylinder). Again, available from Dellow.

2. Use a Supra MkII clutch,heavy duty or puck depending on what you prefer. SBC (St Marys Brake and Clutch can help here. Just tellthem the number of splines and the clucth circumference).

3. I am using the W58 without any dramas in a track Starion built to IPRA regs with around 190-200kw atw and its fine.

re size and fitment - they will fit just fine without alteration to the tunnel or anything but you will need to modify the support bracket to suit. Not difficult.

If you are in Sydney at any time and want a nosey at mine let me know and so long as I have a bit of notice would be happy to let you slide your body under and take pics and measurements. :beer

take up Flappa's advice and contact Coltspeed. Ron has lots of experience with Race car engineering and Mitsi's especially and can machine and fabricate bits custom if you work with him on measurements etc :wink:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
sigmaproject
Big Dorifto

Post by sigmaproject »

I had a Supra box behind a worked 308 and used a Dyna clutch plate with no problems. Although the box died after a couple of years.