rear strut inserts installation help

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
4g6beat
I love starions

rear strut inserts installation help

Post by 4g6beat »

Hi guys has anyone converted their rear struts to accept shock inserts? i've got a set of tokicos which were easy to chuck up the front. However now i'm faced with installing rears, using a set of front strut tops cut and welded to trimmed rear struts (for the threaded goodness it brings).

I've also got a set of coilover springs i want to put on and i'm not liking the fact i have to slide the coil seat over a welded section, the clearance is like 0.05 mm from coil ID to strut OD atm so if the weld isn't dead flat i'm gonna have troubles.

Is there an alternative? are there struts available here that i can put the inserts into? any help would be apreciated.

Thanks guys :beer
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ur supposed to put the threaded sleeve over the top BEFORE welding the top on....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

you would be better of not welding and just having the housing threaded.
yes you loose almost a inch of effective length but it work good becuase you dont loose up travel by doing so

check out my thread on tristarion(might have to login)
http://www.tristarion.com/cms/component ... ic,19180.0

i will put up some pics here for you too
nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

do starion rear sturts have tokico stamped on them? mine do and they look very much like they come apart?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes they are made by tokico, no they dont come apart unless they have already been chopped..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

nzgsr
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by nzgsr »

ok just that they have a big nut on top what happens if you put the nut off?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

u will find that the "nut" is actually spot welded to the casing. i was most indignant when i tried to unscrew it the first time and it wouldnt budge. well, at least until the spot welds broke....

4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Thanks redzone, that makes much more sense to me :)
I haven't pulled the rear strut out yet as it's my daily driver, just read on starquest club that people have to do this or use shp struts to get the inserts in. Will i need to trim the spring seat to get sufficient clearance from the top of the sleeve to cut and weld the treaded section?
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

redzone wrote:u will find that the "nut" is actually spot welded to the casing. i was most indignant when i tried to unscrew it the first time and it wouldnt budge. well, at least until the spot welds broke....
When my Konis were done I was told that the top of the strut had to be cut off and threaded for a "gland nut "
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

OLD FART wrote:When my Konis were done I was told that the top of the strut had to be cut off and threaded for a "gland nut "
Oldie, yep, common "mod" for virgin factory stuff. Most cars struts have to go through that process (just the first time though).
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

OLD FART wrote:
redzone wrote:u will find that the "nut" is actually spot welded to the casing. i was most indignant when i tried to unscrew it the first time and it wouldnt budge. well, at least until the spot welds broke....
When my Konis were done I was told that the top of the strut had to be cut off and threaded for a "gland nut "

yup........