Views Please

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Views Please

Post by Darkelf »

I think this has been asked before but I would really like peoples opinions please.

If a BOV is installed and it is fully tightened can the backrush of air through the IC pipes cause damage to the turbo???

Or is there no backrush.

Ta
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I have absolutely no idea :roll:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

if theres that flutter noise i guess theres compressor stall...

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

The reason you install a bov is to alleviate the rush of air back towards the turbo. No bov and the back rush will happen.

The air going back towards the turbo can cause the turbo to slow down and in severe cases cause it to almost stop or break blades etc.

So, imho, putting one on will minimise the chances of damaging the turbo due to reversion, and will also help reduce lag when changing gears due to the increased speed of the turbo. Plus it goes WHOOOOOOSH :D
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Hmmmm understand that Al but does tightening the adjustment screw right up so that the BOV doesn't Whoosh cause damage to the turbo?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yes :glare:

What they're trying to say is if you don't vent the backpressure, you can damage the turbo. I mean if you were spinning at tens of thousands of rpm, and hit a huge vacuum that said STOP NOW, you wouldn't be too happy either!!!

No woosh=no venting=backrush fun=turbo lag + possible wear/damage

If you are worried about the noise just get a plumback, or a Stealth that lets you change between atmospheric and plumback.

However you'd probably (realistically) only get damage, if you boost hard, then take your foot off for a long time letting it coast down on vac with no BOV venting (either plumback or atmospheric).

BOVs aren't essential, but it does protect your turbo against high boost -> high vac situations. It also greatly reduces turbo lag.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

This will not do any damage. All the Starions never had any BOV's including the intercooled ones such as the Aussie JD and the widebody cars.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

Kim,
Ttightening it up will just limit the amount of air it vents, fully tight is the same as not having the bov at all.
BOV's became popular for the noise factor, then it was found (thanks to the racing comunity) that they can extend the turbo's life due it no longer having to suddenly reduce speed when the throttle is snapped shut.
The benifit of the this also helps to reduce lag due to the fact that the airspeed is not suddenly slowed down.
Sure starions didnt have them, but some early euro turbo cars of that era did, saab for example. Perhaps mitsu didnt feel the need for them in those days.

If you dont like the noise, plumb it back into the inlet pipe (if the BOV can be plubed back). I think yours is the rice (oops) type with the shinny trumpet, unlike c'monsters, which is a plumb back type.
Ford G6ET 458wkws
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

mrb1 wrote:This will not do any damage. All the Starions never had any BOV's including the intercooled ones such as the Aussie JD and the widebody cars.
Mine has factory plumback.
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Kim and his vacuum

Post by WANTSOM »

rofl
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

That's gold Wantsom!! WTF?
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

factory plumback? Ummm, I don't think so! If a BOV wasn't fitted to the standard Starion, then how can it be factory? Unless of course it's from another car that had it from the factory...?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Its part of the turbo itself by the feel of it. Pipe runs from the turbo exit, goes in to something I can't see but is bolted in place, and returns up in to the intake pipe.

I think its just a rare option maybe??? I dunno to be honest but I figured it was factory, since its a bloody unusual place to put an aftermarket one.

I assume I have one since car makes a light PSST sound when you release the throttle, and there is near no lag even between medium/slow gear changes.

I also can't understand why I have pipe coming from my turbo exit, that returns to my air intake, if I have no BOV. Unless somebody can enlighten me?

Sounds like I need to check it out.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Also keep in mind the huge variances of Starion's worldwide.

Another thing, an old for sale post advertising a TC05 with 'anti-laggy thing'

http://austarion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=356

Sounds like what I am trying to describe, I too have a TC05 turbo. It may not be the original turbo on my car, although it looks it.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

My apologies for my last post. The alchohol hadn't worn off by then, and I was just picturing Kelfy doing the vacuuming with his little lacey maids apron on (and prob nothing else knowing him.)

Now remember all you young 'uns - "reality is for people who cant handle drugs" (or was it the other way round) but I'm sure "The Scumster" knows this already rofl

Now where's Marie, I need to make some creme brule :wink: