What heads are a straight swap over

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Benny_Mac
[L] Plates

What heads are a straight swap over

Post by Benny_Mac »

Hey all, not off to a good start with this car, turns out i've done a head gasket and the only reason i found out before starting it was because water was dripping out a crack in my exhaust manifold. Chances are the head needs maching or cracked, i could just be lucky that its a headgasket and that valve is open but i wont know till i pull it all apart.

My question is what sohc head will bolt straight on keeping my standard exhaust and inlet manifolds?
Vehicle make, year built and capacity would be great thanks.
And also i heard a 2.4 head will bolt up, whats this out of and will my manifolds work on it?
Thanks in advance

Benny Mac
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

easiest swap over without changing manifolds or anything is a starion head :) I believe anything else will require changes of some sort.
_

head swap

Post by pajeroturbo »

all mitsubishi 2.0 8v heads will be a bolt up no modified needed.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

All Cordia and L300 heads to start with...

Anything without jet valves is good.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Sonata single cam 8valve
HG Gallant SE (GSR'S are dohc )
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Sorry to hijack but do cordia heads share the same cc rating as starions?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

62/63 heads are same i believe, the original starion ones have a T cast on the back of the head, think cordia's did 2..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote:62/63 heads are same i believe, the original starion ones have a T cast on the back of the head, think cordia's did 2..
^^^ knew you'd pipe up at some stage.

Cannot vouch for Cordia stuff but L300 heads have a different cc rating, the combustion chambers are smaller than a Starion head...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

Here in Holland we offen use the 2.4 head for the 2.0 engine because the valve's are much bigger.There are a few things you have to do before using the head.
-resurface the head, removing 1.2mm of the head. The reason for this is that the CR between 2.4 and 2.0 is different. You can use the 2.4 head without removing 1.2mm, but the your CR is going from 7.6:1 to I believe 7.2. If you want to run with very high boost levels you could go for the lower CR.
-The second thing is that the intakeports are not smooth. There are some casting flaws that can be removed. Do not remove to much! But, I don't have to tell you guys that :D The 2.4 head is a very good upgrade if you are looking for extra power.

Good luck!

Martijn.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

2000_turbo wrote:Here in Holland we offen use the 2.4 head for the 2.0 engine because the valve's are much bigger.There are a few things you have to do before using the head.
-resurface the head, removing 1.2mm of the head. The reason for this is that the CR between 2.4 and 2.0 is different. You can use the 2.4 head without removing 1.2mm, but the your CR is going from 7.6:1 to I believe 7.2. If you want to run with very high boost levels you could go for the lower CR.
-The second thing is that the intakeports are not smooth. There are some casting flaws that can be removed. Do not remove to much! But, I don't have to tell you guys that :D The 2.4 head is a very good upgrade if you are looking for extra power.

Good l

Martijn.
Last edited by OLD FART on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

2000_turbo wrote:Here in Holland we offen use the 2.4 head for the 2.0 engine because the valve's are much bigger.There are a few things you have to do before using the head.

Good luck!

Martijn.
Got one being ported atm 4 my Frankenstein stroker motor :D
Last edited by OLD FART on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
Sigve_B
Big Dorifto

Post by Sigve_B »

This sucks the 2.4 sohc wasn`t delivered in norway so can`t get a hold of one :( only the sapporo and thats super rare.. What do a 2.4 head with l300 intake cost in aus ? or holland?
vroooom pttshhh!! :D
2000_turbo
Big Dorifto

Post by 2000_turbo »

The Sapporo 2.4 head is also in Holland very rare, if you can find one the price is approx 200 or 300 Euro. I think you can also use the Galant (88-92) 2.0L Sohc intake manifold.

Gr,

Martijn.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Cordia heads R different CC, they R smaller. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

2000_turbo wrote:The Sapporo 2.4 head is also in Holland very rare, if you can find one the price is approx 200 or 300 Euro. I think you can also use the Galant (88-92) 2.0L Sohc intake manifold.

Gr,

Martijn.
You can use the head from a Galant or Space Wagon. I've used one on starion.
Those head do have different combustion chambers but that only seemed to make it run better.