Mitsubishi starion 4 injector setup

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

yeah I watched that, it showed the bonnet up with the engine running, to me it sounded like something was raped or on its way out.. but i do have cheap ass speakers so cant be sure.

basically what would answer my questions is would $300 tune fix the fuel consumption and make it more around the 600kms/tank, or is this 4 injector job to homemade for a simple tune to fix

thanks all

Faust
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Ideally $300 wouldn't do it.

I would prefer installing a new Engine Management system. This will set you back a bit. Look at haltech, EMS, Wolf, Motec and Microtech for example.

These are all over $1k. Then you have tuning on top of it. Plus you would want to fix quite a few things up like the IC piping.

Also never believe someone who says the engine was worked on 10,000km's ago unless you see receipts. And still that doesn't mean he has blown the motor since. Make sure if you get it, you check it out thoroughly.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

hmm that kinda sucks, im begining to question how this car made it into fast four mag, not another starion such as one of the starions owned by the guys down in christchurch.

my first starion only cost me 1600 and it was a standard minter..
(auto but still)
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Last time the JD went to Canberra we got 720ks out of a full tank :o
Starion_Turbo wrote:600 - 650km / tank of fuel sounds about right assuming 75L fuel tank.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

hoongirl wrote:Last time the JD went to Canberra we got 720ks out of a full tank :o
FREAK :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

WidebodyWoody wrote:Ideally $300 wouldn't do it.

I would prefer installing a new Engine Management system. This will set you back a bit. Look at haltech, EMS, Wolf, Motec and Microtech for example.

These are all over $1k. Then you have tuning on top of it. Plus you would want to fix quite a few things up like the IC piping.
as a matter of interest on after market computors we are atm working on fitting up a gen 3 holden computor to my sigma
this is to run a set of quad T/Bs on a 4G54 but the same computor will be used on my turbo build which is to be a twin cam
and about the only thing that will need to be different will be the map sencor
now these are fully adjustable control fuel ( seq injection ) and spark via multi coil
infact could control electronic auto changes and alot more
the other good thing is that they are cheap with a lot of wreckers having LS1 powered things turning up
I have a few bits to make as in chopper wheels for crank angle and cam angle

if it all works like it should it could be a cheaper option and most states now will have dyno tuners that can flash gen 3 engine man
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

hmm, yes, yes, i see.. well I understood nothing of that :(

in your opinion cheaterparts what would you say about tha blurple starion.. more trouble than its worth or a simple fix ?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I reckon it would need more than a $300 tune to get it running properly. Are there any tuners around where you are that can actually tune the SAFC attached?

To get it going to it's full potential, it would need a proper air/fuel computer and tune.
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

what is the SAFC ? (the greedy piggyback ?) there is a place called SpeedFactor in my town who do all computer mapping and stuff

just a shame there isnt any place likethat where the car is in Taumaranui (about 300kms away)

by proper air/fuel computer do u mean chucking out the standard ecu and piggyback and gettin something like a microtech ?

Is it not possible to just get the greedy piggy back tuned to handle to extra 2 injectors
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

well an over the phone estimate i got was 500-$600 for tune including a dyno tune.

but that is without actually seeing the car..

what implications would their be for running the car rich
(apart from excessive consumtion of petrol)

I might take it for 2k

would the standard ecu need to be tuned or just the piggyback ?

would a tuning and diagnostic shop find the standard ecu / the greedy emanage piggy back hard to tune.. as in straight forward, not too different from anyother ecu (especially if they havent delt with one before)
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Your better off using a stand alone computer, Piggy backs on the factory computer will be a nightmare to tune as its 25year old technology being stretched WAY beyond its design.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
HWYSTR
I like starions

Post by HWYSTR »

hmm, not really what I wanted to hear but alas it sounds like what I predicted.

I think ill offer him 2k, if its too hard to tune im sure I could sell it for 2,500 to some random up here

either that or ill buy a 280zx fairlady for 1,500

but just to get a straight answer..
it is possible to get it tuned they way it is set up now ?
and after the tuning it should run at 600kms/ tank (atleast, fingers crossed) ?

its not like petrol is getting cheaper, soon it will be $2 and fuck getting 400kms on $150 of gas (fuck paying $120 for 400kms !)
400km/$150 is probably more shit than 70's V8
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I am no expert on piggy backs on the standard ECU but I can't see any reason why you cant get it to work. But like is has been said before, it would be harder then a stand alone ECU
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

quote="HWYSTR"]
in your opinion cheaterparts what would you say about tha blurple starion.. more trouble than its worth or a simple fix ?[/quote]

good question - I dont tune efi stuff I let my dyno guy do that

I do the engineering only on my car and others

I'm not keen on piggy backs though
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

cheaterparts wrote: as a matter of interest on after market computors we are atm working on fitting up a gen 3 holden computor to my sigma
this is to run a set of quad T/Bs on a 4G54 but the same computor will be used on my turbo build which is to be a twin cam
and about the only thing that will need to be different will be the map sencor
now these are fully adjustable control fuel ( seq injection ) and spark via multi coil
infact could control electronic auto changes and alot more
the other good thing is that they are cheap with a lot of wreckers having LS1 powered things turning up
I have a few bits to make as in chopper wheels for crank angle and cam angle

if it all works like it should it could be a cheaper option and most states now will have dyno tuners that can flash gen 3 engine man

Would you be keen enough to do a writeup on this when you've got it sorted?

Sounds like a great way to go...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.